Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

adhesive velcro-like pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default adhesive velcro-like pads

i can't think of the specific name of the stuff that i'm looking for, so it's difficult to perform a search for where to get it....but i'm looking for some adhesive-backed pads (or an adhesive-backed roll that can be cut to length) of the velcro-like stuff that GM uses to attach the plastic rear sail panels to the body of the car. it's a lot better than the standard velcro that has the hooks on one side, and the looped nylon cloth on the other....this stuff has a bunch of really small semi-hard plastic "tabs" on both sides that interlock when pushed together with some pressure, and hold wayyyy better than standard velcro.

anyone know what i'm talking about, and where i can get some for cheap?

i'm looking to use this to mount the passive crossovers for my front component set.

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 06-03-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure...you've looked around for something similar at home improvement warehouses? Do you really need something that heavy duty for holding crossovers in place anyway?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

i haven't looked at local stores...i was trying to find some online

it will likely be used for more than just crossovers, but that's my immediate use for it
Old 06-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There's a product called "Dual Lock" from 3M that sounds like what you're looking for. It has plastic teeth on both pieces and locks together with a definite snap. The backing has an industrial strength adhesive. I used it to mount a radar detector to the dash of my bike and it has never come loose. It comes in strips that are about 2" wide and you just cut it with scissors to fit. I can't remember where I bought it online but a Google search should find it.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dual lock stuff that whitebird is very strong. The problem is the adhesive from just the standard velcro usually comes loose before the velcro itself. I suppose you could superglue the dual lock stuff and that would be pretty strong
Old 06-03-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

yep, that's the stuff i was thinking about....thanks guys