Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tach Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach Not Working

This might not be the right section, but here it goes. I have just installed a LS7 in my Trans Am. It starts and runs but the tach does not read. Everything else on the Instrument Cluster works. The tach does get voltage and all connections are together. The needle will rise to zero but will not go past it. Anyone got any solutions?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my trans am did this for over a year, It really frustrated me. With mine, you could even tap the glass and it would work but then stop. It was soooooo ghetto!!!!! but i didnt think it was worth the money to have an electronics shop do it becuase most around here are about $100/hr! so just a month or two ago i was installing leds and i peeled back the factory black stuff to expose the clear plastic. I was so pissed!!!!!! two of the prongs to the tach motor had simply popped out!!!! UGGGG!!!! if youve ever had your cluster apart youll know what im talking about. In case you havnt, the tach motor is a square. On each corner it has a male prong that goes into a female receptor. they arent glued or screwed they simply rest in them. If even one pops out then youll get current but no reading. id say start there and check it out but to fix it you have to completely disassemble your gauge cluster