General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Passenger side Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side Spark Plugs

How the hell do you proceed to change the no 6 and 8 plugs on a 98 WS6 TA? I tried from up top and from underneath. I don't see how it's possible.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

On my '98 I do those from the top. I remove the AIR tubes, rest my body across the top of the motor, and wiggle my arm down in there. Not easy, but it can be done.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default thanks.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
On my '98 I do those from the top. I remove the AIR tubes, rest my body across the top of the motor, and wiggle my arm down in there. Not easy, but it can be done.
What size ratchet, extension, u joints are you using? What brand ratchet?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tee-boy
What size ratchet, extension, u joints are you using? What brand ratchet?
I figured the perfect combo of tools to do this, after a few times busting my *** for 1 hour just to get that side out.

I do them all on that side in 15-20 minutes now.

I use a short ratchet, maybe 4 inches long, with a 1" long extension, than the spark plug socket on that. Its perfect. I lay on top of my engine, and with that combo in my hand I slide it all the way back and snap it right on the plug and take it all the way out in a couple minutes. The rest of them just get easier.

The drivers side I use a regular length ratchet with a basic 3" long extension. Works perfect.

Tomorrow I can take pics of the 3 pieces of tools I use if you want. I don;t remember the exact brand names and lengths.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quickin
I figured the perfect combo of tools to do this, after a few times busting my *** for 1 hour just to get that side out.

I do them all on that side in 15-20 minutes now.

I use a short ratchet, maybe 4 inches long, with a 1" long extension, than the spark plug socket on that. Its perfect. I lay on top of my engine, and with that combo in my hand I slide it all the way back and snap it right on the plug and take it all the way out in a couple minutes. The rest of them just get easier.

The drivers side I use a regular length ratchet with a basic 3" long extension. Works perfect.

Tomorrow I can take pics of the 3 pieces of tools I use if you want. I don;t remember the exact brand names and lengths.

Sure any help is much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

You can get the #8 from the bottom... well thats how I did it when I had stock manifolds. LT's make this whole job like a 5 minute job.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Sure any help is much appreciated.
I'll post pics tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

There's a sticky on here somewhere that has a link to a write up on this
Old 06-07-2007, 03:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by waldershrek
There's a sticky on here somewhere that has a link to a write up on this

I posted a thread showing a tool that helped alot of people get those damn plugs out called the "Indexable Ratchet". But the tool combo I have now is so perfect it's just crazy.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default follow up

well i took your advice. bought a 1 inch extension and a longer 3/8 in ratchet. Was able to break the no 8 plug with the new ratchet from underneath. Then, I used my smaller 3/8 ratchet to work it out from the top. I took your advice and laid my body across the engine bay (feet off the ground); kind of catechoner. One things for sure about working on these cars, the more body positions you can put yourself in, the easier your job will be.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

well i took your advice. bought a 1 inch extension and a longer 3/8 in ratchet. Was able to break the no 8 plug with the new ratchet from underneath. Then, I used my smaller 3/8 ratchet to work it out from the top. I took your advice and laid my body across the engine bay (feet off the ground); kind of catechoner. One things for sure about working on these cars, the more body positions you can put yourself in, the easier your job will be.
Sorry for the delay, here it is. The 1" long socket shown in #4 is used on a couple to give you a little more extension, it goes over the outer part of the spark plug socket instead of the other smaller 1" extension going into the spark plug socket.

With this combo, you do it ALL FROM THE TOP in minutes, you grab the ratchet with the #2 extension and just the spark plug socket, put it in your left hand, lay over the engine, slide your left hand with the tool in your hand, all the way back and snap it on and ratchet it out. Easy as pie. Even for me.

I've done my plugs 10 times since I've had my car. One time I did it and the last person that did my plugs put them on VERY tight and it was hell to get the #8 plug off. I always put them in literally a tad more than finger tight. They won't come out, and it makes changing them the next time a piece of cake to get out.

Last edited by Quickin; 06-07-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks for the pictures Quickin. That should save me some time and aggravation by getting that tool combo when I go to do mine.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Starion
Thanks for the pictures Quickin. That should save me some time and aggravation by getting that tool combo when I go to do mine.

If the last person that did your plugs happened to put them in real tight and you can't break it loose with that ratchet, just put it on the spark plug, than take something long enough to put against the ratchet while its on and smack it. It'll break it loose that way.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default anti sieze

Are any of you using anti-sieze compound on the spark plug threads?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

i am. first spark plug change (from the factory) took around 6 hours for all 8 had some problems here and there with my AIR system. now i don't have AIR and i used anti-sieze the last time (as this time) and everything so far (except for 8) has taken about 2 hours
Old 06-08-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Every time, but this last I didn't have any. As long as you don't crank them in real hard, they will come back out like butter.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remove the rear coil packs along with disconnecting the air tube and placing it on the manifold. Number 6 and 8 become real accessible after that.

I also found a swivel head 3/8 socket wrench works wonders.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default anti sieze

Good info. I didn't put anti-sieze on mine. In fact I've never used that stuff on any of my engines. I wonder what the implications are?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry on a side note I just changed mine about 2 months ago I used the NGK 55's. I keep hearing guys talking about gaping them, I just took mine out of the box an installed them did I miss something?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should always be using that since the heads are aluminum.