Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Centerforce install...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centerforce install...

Hello folks!

I installed a centerforce clutch in a friends 2000 Camaro SS last week. The car only has 30k and the clutch was TOAST along with the flywheel. So she had me replace the flywheel with a resurfaced unit from autozone. Along with the new centerforce clutch/pressure plate, she had me install a new timken throwout bearing while the tranny was out.

After the install I drove it and everything seemed okay. I'm not a chevy guy so I never really drove camaros in the past. Therefore I don't really know the "feel".

So the next day she says that the clutch feels lower than normal. I drove it again and i agreed, it did feel a little low. I figured that was how it was supposed to be with this new "performance" clutch. So last night the clutch pedal just drops to the floor and gets stuck on her while going into a gas station. You could lift it with your hand and it would just fall right back to the floor. Wouldn't go into gear at all. Got it towed to the shop and the next morning it is perfectly fine again (still a little low). So for the heck of it we bleed it and it doesn't change much but it was still working fine. So we figure everything is okay and send it on its way. Well it got stuck down again tonight. It's turning into a nightmare and I really would like to get this fixed for her.

I'm beginning to assume that theis centerforce clutch may have something to do with all this. The clutch ONLY came with the disc and pressure plate. I was kinda surprised because most kits come with all the necessary supplies, new bearings and what not. This thing didn't even come with the alignment tool. Luckily I still had one laying around in the tool box that worked.

Like I said, im not a big camaro guy, so I don't know all the tips, tricks, common problems and ect.. So if anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

p.s. after reading around a bit, I see that it would of been a good time to upgrade to the 01+ slave cylinder... hmmm
Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of these clutchs, getting ready to install it, in the instructions for the centerforce, they tell you,you must upgrade to the 01-02 master and slave cyclinders if you do not the clutch will not work properly, my guess is that's what's causing your problem, you'll have to tear it down again and upgrade to those parts, sounds like you did not do that. Hope this helps out. DoubleK
Old 06-08-2007, 08:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put this clutch in my car, it is an 02 z28 though. but i did put new hydrualics in anyway, it is always good to do that while your there. i used a raybestos master and a delco slave.. it works great.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a centerforce also. You do need the revised slave cylinder which the 2000 would not have. Did you replace the whole slave or just the throwout?

If you've replaced the slave it's an issue of just not being bled. Bleeding the system fully is the most common problem on these cars. I've had my trans out probably 6 or 7 times in the last year and a few times I've had to remove the master and bench bleed it to get all the air out.