Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default electrical problems

I know there are prolly threads on this but the search wasn't working again..

1. here is the problem.. both bulbs (front n back) both light up but when i try to use my turn signal, the bulbs just stay lit

2. my driver side brake light keeps burning out. I changed it like 3 weeks ago and its out again. Easy fix but i just wanna know if something is wrong

3. when i turn my car off, i have to open the passanger side door for the stereo to turn off -- annoying
Old 06-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

1. If one side works but the other doesn't then you have either a burned out bulb or a bad socket on the side that doesn't flash. Turn on your hazard flashers and walk around the car looking for the light that doesn't flash. It's probably the front - they tend to get water in them. Remeber, they are dual filament bulbs so just because the parking lights light up doesn't mean the bulb isn't burned out.

If neither side turn signals flash then it's probably your flasher. You can get a replacement for just a couple of bucks at any auto parts store or even WalMart.

2. Check for water collecting in the housing. Water can cause corroded sockets and/or blown bulbs. In fact, cool water leaking or splashing on a hot bulb can cause them to blow apart.

3. The door switch on the driver's door probably needs adjustment, cleaning, or replacement. Unlike older cars, our door switches are built in to the door latch (they used to be pin switches on the door frame). A good shot of contact cleaner from Radio Shack will often take care of the problem. There is a little room for adjustment of the door latch that can also help.