Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest LT setup possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cheapest LT setup possible?

Just as the thread title says, Im looking for the cheapest true dual set up possible. From what research I have done, I know pacesetters are the best bang for your buck LTs available, and since I live in SC, rust wont be much of a problem. I know I will also need an Y pipe as well-heres what Im clueless on-how does this affect the cat itself? Can I use my stock cat with this setup or does this bypass it completely? Can the stock mufflers be used or would I have to change to 2 others(Flowmaster and SLP Loudmouths seem pretty popular). Also, how much would an average muffler shop charge to do all this for me? Im just looking for a rough estimate. I would be looking for an under the axle set up(from what Ive gathered this is cheaper), and SC does not do emissions testings but I would be fine with keeping cats. Ive browsed through both stickies and maybe I tried to take in too much.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I payed $468 shipped for Pacesetters and a TSP ORY. Hooked into the stock catback no problem. Was to quiet for me so I threw a 3in cutout into the set up and it wakes the dead now
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from reading your post it might seem your a little more lost then you think....1. you dont need a Y if your looking for a TD setup....2. in SC they will rust i have alot of family there and its humid and it rains.....

alright here ya go.....you can just get the painted pacesetters that will look like crap in a few months...and a custom true dual setup from a shop thats dumped at the axle...this will be your cheapest setup....but it will still probably be around 500-600 dollars...

also ask yourself if you cant afford to do it right, right now, do you really need it....or are you getting envious of others and just wanting something now?....

to many people on here jump into things before they really think them through
Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

I paid 225.00 for my pacesetters on ebay brand new
Old 06-12-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

also flowmaster is crappy for flow, and the loud mouth sounds really raspy imo on lt's, hooker, or magnaflow is your best bet, so for price hooker will get your vote. but tsp td's is what you want if you want a cheap true dual set up.

as far as a regular set for price alone I would say
tsp y
hooker cat back
pacesetter coated
arp header studs
tr55 plugs
msd wires
set of gm mls gaskets
o2 sensor ext's if you can not solder

price appox 750.00
Old 06-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Launching!

I'm pretty cheap so I went with flowtechs, you will not find a cheaper pair of headers unless there is some crazy sale, they also come with the 02 extenders and 3 inch collectors so you can save 20-30 bucks and not buy those when you have TDs made.
Why do you want them out the back? This will cost much more and is not needed? Also if you run under the axle you will have a hard time changing the rear tires casue when you put the jack under the car the exhaust moves up against the axle and pulls it up raising the tire under the wheelwell. I've tryed it on my TA with non welded pipes and it does pulkl the axle up, this is one reason manufactures don't do this from the factory. Alot of guys don't even carry spare tires so this may not be a concern, but its something to think about. For mufflers I went with Thrush cherry bomb straight through mufflers they can be had for less than 20 bucks each and these flow through designs are the best flowing mufflers you can buy. They are much like the race bullit mufflers guys use but are longer and have more muffling material so they are quieter than bullits, but still flow pretty good and very loud at open throttle. Thrush also makes a cheap oval regular muffler that fits right next the trunk and side panels on both sides if you decide to go all the way back. Its a smaller muffler and pretty quiet, and costs around 18 bucks, it fits perfect right up next to the trunk. I have some pictures if your interested.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by d james
I'm pretty cheap so I went with flowtechs, you will not find a cheaper pair of headers unless there is some crazy sale, they also come with the 02 extenders and 3 inch collectors so you can save 20-30 bucks and not buy those when you have TDs made.
Why do you want them out the back? This will cost much more and is not needed? Also if you run under the axle you will have a hard time changing the rear tires casue when you put the jack under the car the exhaust moves up against the axle and pulls it up raising the tire under the wheelwell. I've tryed it on my TA with non welded pipes and it does pulkl the axle up, this is one reason manufactures don't do this from the factory. Alot of guys don't even carry spare tires so this may not be a concern, but its something to think about. For mufflers I went with Thrush cherry bomb straight through mufflers they can be had for less than 20 bucks each and these flow through designs are the best flowing mufflers you can buy. They are much like the race bullit mufflers guys use but are longer and have more muffling material so they are quieter than bullits, but still flow pretty good and very loud at open throttle. Thrush also makes a cheap oval regular muffler that fits right next the trunk and side panels on both sides if you decide to go all the way back. Its a smaller muffler and pretty quiet, and costs around 18 bucks, it fits perfect right up next to the trunk. I have some pictures if your interested.
I am interested in pics. Its not a necessity that the exhaust extends out the back, so an axle dump setup would be fine. If Im after a true dual setup, what else do I need beside the headers themselves? I was under the impression that another pipe(maybe I should have said X or H instead) was needed as well as mufflers. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Payed
$200 Pacesetter Lt's
$140 Pacesetter ORY
$0 stock Dual/Dual
$340
Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 AM
12 Second Club

just get the pacesetter headers with the catted y from tsp and get two cut outs and try to fit them on before the cats, theres your nice sound when you want it and you wont be harassed by the police.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whisper
Just as the thread title says, Im looking for the cheapest true dual set up possible. From what research I have done, I know pacesetters are the best bang for your buck LTs available, and since I live in SC, rust wont be much of a problem. I know I will also need an Y pipe
Ok, if you have a y-pipe... you cant have "true duals"

The cheapest true dual exhaust will be pacesetters and TSP dual exhaust.

Most anyone will charge a goodish amount of money 200 bucks or more to install headers on these cars because its a bit of a pain. But the pacesetters install easy. As long as you have a way of getting the car 2.5 feet off the ground (tall jack stands) you should be able to do it yourself.

As far as installing the TSP dual exhaust. No one should charge you more than 50 bucks because its real simple.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

do it yourself, learn and save money
Old 06-13-2007, 03:57 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by staringback05
Beat me to it.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dont for get the new o2's or o2 extensions
Old 06-13-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staringback05

I wouldnt mind that-the problem is I do not have a garrage or any kind of lift to work on the car with.

The car is a stock 99 SS with SLP's dual dual option-could I keep some of this setup when using a set of longtubes?(If this prevents 'true duals', I dont mind-my main interest is getting a set of LTs on the car.)
Old 06-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Teching In

I just bought a set of ceramic coated flowtech LT's off ebay for $180 shipped.1 3/4" and 3" collectors. summit sells the same set for $435. the seller just got a huge promotional offer and they drop ship them from flowtech. I'm going the same route you are w/ custom true duals w/ magnaflows dumped before the axle. You can buy a universal X pipe also
Old 06-13-2007, 03:54 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Payed
$200 Pacesetter Lt's
$140 Pacesetter ORY
$0 stock Dual/Dual
$340

Where did u get that deal?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Whisper
I wouldnt mind that-the problem is I do not have a garrage or any kind of lift to work on the car with.

The car is a stock 99 SS with SLP's dual dual option-could I keep some of this setup when using a set of longtubes?(If this prevents 'true duals', I dont mind-my main interest is getting a set of LTs on the car.)
you don't need a garage or a lift, just a driveway. I had my front tires of the ground 8 inches, more would've made it easier, but thats all I needed to get it done. I took and jacked up the front of the car under the engine frame, then stuck a piece of 4 x4 wood on the jack and jacked it up more, and then put two jackstands under the motor frame, this was enough to get the 8 inches. You could probably leave it lower than 8 inches but its not to hard to jack up. Yes you can leave your dual dual setup, in fact this mwould make it easier for you to do the whole job yourself, since you won't have to go to a muffler shop to have duals made. The stock Y pipe just pulls right out and you put in the new 3 inch Y and bolt to the headers. I wouldn't pay somebody to install headers, its really not hard, it might take you a whole afternoon, but hey we've all got more time then money. You can always add true duals to your car in the future if you don't like the sound.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ino
Where did u get that deal?
The members here are very helpful.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 AM
Banned

If you want to spend a little more you can have a complete stainless steel setup for $600 shipped. Let me know if your interested.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

ahhh stainless ......get your stuff drive a couple hours, hold up for the night....and ill show you the outs and ins of installing it....hows that?