Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/First Gen Camaro Hooker motor adapter plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default LS1/First Gen Camaro Hooker motor adapter plates

Does anyone know how far away from the firewall the Hooker plates place the engine?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About an inch I think. I didn't have enough clearance between the heads and firewall for the part of the LS1 harness that normally runs around the back of the head. I've also heard there's an alternator clearance problem with Fbody brackets--may that's why I was having so much trouble getting my mounts to sit down on the stands with Hooker plates. After spending an entire day to get the engine down on the mounts, I said **** it and pulled the engine back out and ordered some ATS style plates.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the pics. I did not see this one on your photo list. You would think it would be easier than this, eh?

It looks like from your header pictures that on the LH side the worst offending tubes are the #5 and #7. Pics can be deceiving, but it looks like your new Autocraft brackets move the engine up and forward compared to the Hooker mounts. Using your new engine mounting plates, if the engine was just pushed back a bit would the clearance problems go away?

Also, could you please drop a plumb-bob down from the very front of the waterpump shaft down to the subframe and get a measurement in order to get a fore/aft position? I need to verify that my current radiator and fan will fit. A pic of the plumb bob point on the frame would work great. TIA!

Last edited by CarlC; 06-13-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default too close!

68Camaro:

I bought the plates only cuz they were the cheapest available and they have enough stock in the right places to shift the engine forward and up (firewall and alternator clearance problems) by drilling / tapping another your own holes for the 'old' style mounts (3 hole pattern). Sorry, no pictures, but I moved the engine about 1/2 up and 1" forward and have just enough cleaerance for stock heater core hose and wiring harness clearance. Hooker Supercomps fit well with factory and 87IROC p/s box.

I have tons of room for the 68 camaro 3 core rad and 02 Camaro fans.

Quick Reply: LS1/First Gen Camaro Hooker motor adapter plates