Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

high temps in the summer time

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default high temps in the summer time

01 C5 is running at 232 when it is 91 outside with A/C on. what are you guys running temperature wise in the summer heat? both fans are kickin and there is nothing impairing the airway to the radiator? my z didnt run this hot, is this just normal for the vette?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
FormerVendor

*edit: oops, you meant Z28 I think, not Z06.. disregard the first sentence below!

The C5 and the Z06 have the same cooling system (if you are referring to a C5 Z06). 232 does sound a bit hotter than I see in similar conditions, but it's nothing to be terribly concerned about. Fan #1 doesn't come on until around 226 degrees F and fan #2 doesn't come on until 235 degrees F. So even GM is saying that anything shy of 235 is fine.

Still, when was the last time you had your radiator/condensor cleaned of debris? It's quite possible you either have a single large object sucked up in there (plastic shopping bags tend to find their way inside more frequently than you'd think) or maybe you just have enough dirt, leaves, and road crap that your cooling performance has been inhibited a bit. The front of the C5 literally acts as a Hoover sometimes and does suck up a lot of random stuff floating around the streets.

If all that is good and nothing is mechanically wrong (e.g., fans are turning at full speed, nothing wrong with water pump, etc.) I would start with a simple thermostat swap and fan settings reprogram (only if you can get this done cheaply somewhere, some shops have to burn a license in their software and try to charge you quite a bit for this). My guess is if you get your rad/condensor cleaned, get a fan reprogram, and a 160 therm, you'll see your temps drop quite a bit.

Hope this helps,
Tony
Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Launching!

thanks tony, i let it cool down and watched when the fans kicked on and that was about right, just wanted to make sure that i didnt have a major problem. both fans were juicin pretty good. i checked the airway to the radiator and there is a little debri up at the very top of the radiator but only enough to coner maybe 3-4 square inches at most, hooverd a couple of bags in the Z28 and it was an instant change in temp but that car was programmed and 160 thermo so it never even remotely got hot. just wanted to check it out, i am going out of town tomorrow and didnt want the lil woman running around and havin issues. thanks, dust
Old 06-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Launching!

Good advice from Tony @ MPH ...
Old 06-15-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car in 90+ degree heat and stop and go traffic never got above 199*. I have a 160 stat, and my fans are programmed to come on at 180 and 190. I also have a Meziere EWP. That ewp is a real bonus to have when stuck in slow moving traffic. It flow MAX coolant at all times unlike the belt driven water pumps that need rpms to increase the flow.

Get your fans reprogrammed to come on at 180 and 190 or if you want you engine to run hotter try 200 and 210. That way she won't get any warmer then 210*'s or so. Good luck on cooling her off, because I know heat robs horsepower, and no one wants to drive their car when it feels like a dog.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dont think mine goes above 190 in texas heat.
I cleaned my radiator (it was pretty dirty), put a hypertech 160 thermo, and reprogrammed the fans

Quick Reply: high temps in the summer time