Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New brakes on,,, question with them.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes on,,, question with them.

Nothing special just some rotors and pads from the auto parts store. But when I cruising now and let off the gas, it feels like my car is slowing down way to quick,, and that is without using the brakes. So I went back to the driveway and the right front brake area smelled pretty bad and was putting a lot of heat out. What could be the problem. I know the wheel is on ok.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was that caliper hard to put back on the car with the new pads? Did you check and re-grease your caliper slide pins? The two bolts that hold your caliper in place thread into two pins that SHOULD be easily removable. If they are frozen in place, you need to buy a new caliper abutment bracket, run somewhere around $60-70 at the dealership I believe.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

yeh, they are frozen. ****.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:02 AM
TECH Regular

I have them soaking in some Pb Blaster right now. So hopefully by morning they will loosen up a bit so I can get them out, clean em real good and regrease.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:57 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, if you're lucky they aren't too bad. Figured you would try that first before going out and buying them. I've never had good luck with them once they were pretty badly seized up though. Good luck to you with it! Hopefully it works out!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Well the Pb Blaster didn't work. But,, my dad is a plumber and he took his torch and heated the outside of the bracket up and then we took a set of vice grips and they pulled right out. If anyone else has this problem, I hope they do a search before going out to buy new ones. All I have to do now is check the other side. I'm sure there stuck also, but the caliper went on ok, so there are probably stuck all the way in. I'm still going to pull them out, clean them up and regrease them. Special thanks to DuronClocker for reminding me about the slide pins. Sometimes its the small things that are never looked at.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I've had that problem on multiple cars. Just lack of being thorough by whomever did the brakes last time really. When properly greased, they should easily be fine until the next brake job. Happened on my Z within a couple months after buying it, when I bought my Jimmy, both the rear brackets had the problem, and when I did the brakes on my sister's Eclipse a few weeks ago, I ended up snapping off one of the pins in her bracket. Had to buy a loaded caliper just to get the bracket. Heat wouldn't work on the one in my Camaro, even tried drilling it out at one point to put a new pin in (instead of cleaning up your old ones if they're bad enough, maybe you should just buy new ones? They're cheap at the parts stores). On my truck, the brackets were like $13ea including hardware so I just went out and bought new ones for that price.

Quick Reply: New brakes on,,, question with them.