Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

weird noise comming from a few gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weird noise comming from a few gears

hard to describe the noise.. but it sounds almost like air escaping from a drink when you open it up very slowly.. if you know what i mean.

the weird thing is it only does it in the gears that are up top, like 1st 3rd etc... doesnt happen to 2nd, 4th etc.

it makes the sound no matter if the clutch is in or out (while moving) and it even does it in neutral when i am moving the shifter back and fourth.. but it isnt as loud as it is in gear, and the noise comes and goes as im moving it back and fourth.

anyone know what this can be? i see no difference in shifting.. but the noise can get annoying at times
Old 06-18-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess it could either be nothing, or it could be those gears need replacing.
Have you ever replaced your shifter?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nope, stock shifter.

right now i dont have a shift boot in my car, because the piece of crap plastic around it broke and it was a hassle, so i took it out, so the noise is even louder now.

i talked to someone, and they told me it was my throwout bearing.. but that makes no sense because it only does it to half of the gears
Old 06-19-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah those plastic things suck, i have an extra if your interested. I wouldn't recommend it though because there is a guy on here who makes them out of stainless steel so they will never break and it's like $18 so it's super cheap. I replaced mine with one. Do a search for a shift retainer or boot retainer or somthing like that and you will find him. Then just send him a PM.

Quick Reply: weird noise comming from a few gears