General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What all controls the A/C compressor Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default What all controls the A/C compressor Clutch?

My '96 A/C was working fine up till a couple of weeks ago, then as I was driving, I noticed only ambient temperature air was coming out of the vents. I checked the compressor clutch to see if it engaged when the A/C was set to 'On'. Nope. Not spinning with the pulley. So I assume it's low on Freon, I attached my gauge and check the PSI. I then put the same gauge on my '94's A/C and the '96 is actually a bit higher than the '94 (and the '94's works perfectly). I check fuses and swap relays. No help there. I then pull the relay and jumper it. The A/C works fine and will flat freeze your *ss out of the car with the jumper. I begin to suspect the A/C pressure switch but
a. I don't know how to test it and don't see any references to do so.
b. If I want to just replace it, if you take the old one off, does all the Freon escape?

Is there anything else other than the relay, fuse and pressure sensor that has to be satisfied before the A/C compressor clutch will activate?

Thanks for any insight on this,
Old 06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a schrader valve under the switch so when you unscrew it, it will seal up. That's not to say the valve won't leak due to age, but provided it's working properly it should seal.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

THanks for the reply! I'll give it a look.