LS1s on roller smog testing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default LS1s on roller smog testing?

For those of you who have had your LS1 cars for a while, how hard was it to get them to pass on a roller smog dyno a few years ago? Now it's just plug and play, but say an LS1 were to go in to a older vehicle that had to pass smog, do you guys remember how difficult it was to get them to pass with modification like after market cam shafts? I know what it takes on LT1s, far as cams you can and cant run and expect to pass. I imagine a smaller cam, with the emissions component working and cats would how ever pass. I recall Tony's old 382 passing Harris county roller smog testing, but i do recall back then the limits were a bit higher than they are now, if any one even has old smog results they could post, that would be great.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

huh

96+ obdII = scanned

they dont use rollers
Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
For those of you who have had your LS1 cars for a while, how hard was it to get them to pass on a roller smog dyno a few years ago? Now it's just plug and play, but say an LS1 were to go in to a older vehicle that had to pass smog, do you guys remember how difficult it was to get them to pass with modification like after market cam shafts? I know what it takes on LT1s, far as cams you can and cant run and expect to pass. I imagine a smaller cam, with the emissions component working and cats would how ever pass. I recall Tony's old 382 passing Harris county roller smog testing, but i do recall back then the limits were a bit higher than they are now, if any one even has old smog results they could post, that would be great.
I passed Neil with the b1.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5w20
huh

96+ obdII = scanned

they dont use rollers

I belive he's talking about switching it into the 9-fo.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 AM
9 Second Club

on my 94 Neil they still wanted ot put it on the rollers even though it si ODB2.... which sucks... H/C/LT's/!CATS wasn't gonna fly...

need a friendly place
Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea, they test by year of vehicle and not year of engine, for my 93 and your 94, it's technically easier, since they just need a VIN to enter, but thats not the route I want to go. I got the LT1 passing with LTs and cats, stock cam how ever, its nice to not have to worry. So any potential motor swap, I want the same. I have been around LT1s the last 7+ years, I know what can and cant pass, LS1s a bit different though. It's also been 6 or 7 years since they switched to the OBDII testing, the standards for passing on rollers is a lot different and more stricter.

Mike, 392RWHP is really good for the stock heads, isn't the B1 a relatively conservative cam?