Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stock LT1 Camaro with STS Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock LT1 Camaro with STS Setup

how much can it safely take, and are the kits worth it?

just exploring options, maybe ill get an f body instead of a Corvette if it might be worth it...

phil
Old 06-26-2007, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

your not going to get any replys...

why you may ask... because your brand new, its very obvious you haven't tried the search, and you have done almost no research (can tell by your post).

If your truly interested you would read read read. If you don't even have the car yet, then why dont you figure that out first.

LTx cars are not the car to buy if you are wanting boost... corvette or not... a LS1 car is much better suited.

boost... and how much it an take... im just going to tell you it will take as much as you give it till it blows, because that is as simple as it is. These motors are not built for boost and could blow at 5lbs... but could possibly last at 10 (probably not tho... lol)...

h/c is more up your ally unless you plan on ganking them otor and sticking 6k into a turbo and 5k into motor... then the additional thousands and thousands into the car for supporting mods.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

why buy a car if its not gonna be able to do what i wanted to do. STS does not make kits for LTx corvettes. Only for the F bodys, ive already looked WAY into that, On their website it gives the option to purchase for built motor or stock motor. that made me ask my question. I basicly wanted to know who here has an STS kit on their LTx F body, and if they liked it, would suggest it on stock motor.

if (which i prolly will) i do a vette, it will get H/C/I cobo with AFR heads, Edelbrock mani and not sure on the cam yet, id like to keep ac. But my whole reason for asking is maybe a camaro could be a little more fun if turboed.

i understand where your coming from, ive owned an 11 second 240sx with SR in it... i know about boost. but STS kits are totally different than what im use to... so again my question is...

ARE THEY WORTH THE HASSLE OR SHOULD I STICK TO THE CORVETTE HCI plan
Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

i say go with the vette. Pistons are a major weak link in the equation here... when you do h/c then the higher rpms tends to spin bearings.

With h/c tho, motors seems to last longer (lil more leeway in the tune for mistakes) and make more power. With a stock lt1 and boost i wouldn't expect anymore than 400rwhp... the right head/cam combo will do more than that and be much easier on the pocket.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slow50h
why buy a car if its not gonna be able to do what i wanted to do. STS does not make kits for LTx corvettes. Only for the F bodys, ive already looked WAY into that, On their website it gives the option to purchase for built motor or stock motor. that made me ask my question. I basicly wanted to know who here has an STS kit on their LTx F body, and if they liked it, would suggest it on stock motor.

if (which i prolly will) i do a vette, it will get H/C/I cobo with AFR heads, Edelbrock mani and not sure on the cam yet, id like to keep ac. But my whole reason for asking is maybe a camaro could be a little more fun if turboed.

i understand where your coming from, ive owned an 11 second 240sx with SR in it... i know about boost. but STS kits are totally different than what im use to... so again my question is...

ARE THEY WORTH THE HASSLE OR SHOULD I STICK TO THE CORVETTE HCI plan
Hey welcome to the site!

Even if people are gonna bash on you, do not buy an LT1, it is not worth the hassle, they are old motors and for boost, even if low miles, will not be able to handle much without rebuilding the motor, not to mention the opti spark just really sucks and is an iron block.

What I would do, is find a cheaper LS1 but make sure the car has been taken care of, and get the 5 psi kit for starters then build up the motor and up the psi respectively.

Edit: FOr the HCI corvette, you will hate it for one, its an LT1 corvette and they have problems too, and 2nd your gas mileage will suffer greatly compared to an FI setup...i mean unless you hit boost all the time
Old 06-28-2007, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Having owned both a H/C/I LT1 and lightly modded LS1 I can say stick to the LS1 if you can afford to get one. It is MUCH more responsive to modifications than an LT1 and easier to work on. You'd be lucky to reliably put 6 psi through an stock bottom end LT1 where as I have heard of people getting 10 psi on a stock bottom end LS1 with good tuning.

All my years with the LT1 car seemed like a waste once I got my LS1 car. The LS1 is a way better engine!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2QuickZ's
Having owned both a H/C/I LT1 and lightly modded LS1 I can say stick to the LS1 if you can afford to get one. It is MUCH more responsive to modifications than an LT1 and easier to work on. You'd be lucky to reliably put 6 psi through an stock bottom end LT1 where as I have heard of people getting 10 psi on a stock bottom end LS1 with good tuning.

All my years with the LT1 car seemed like a waste once I got my LS1 car. The LS1 is a way better engine!

the ls1 car just starts at a better spot. But at the same time it cost more to begin with. The lt1 is basicly a SBC and with the money you saved from buying a ls1 car you can put a bottom end in the lt1 and boost the hell out of it. Besides the fact that you can get LT1s DIRT cheap if you are willing to look and possibly travel a bit. They are like the new "fox body".... cheap fun

Quick Reply: Stock LT1 Camaro with STS Setup