Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge question for conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge question for conversion

Right now I am using a scanmaster in my Chevelle to read data minus oil pressure. I was thinking about going with the autometer nexus gauges since it looked like they would work off of the ALDL. After talking to their sales department I found out that they are engineering an OBDII type control unit but it wont be out for a while. I am trying to find out if there are any other companies out there that might offer something like this. I was also thinking about how to try to accomplish this with a factory cluster but I think I would need to add a BCM to the car for the gagues to work. If thats the case why bother. Call me lazy but I figured if all of the sensors are already there why not use them.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

You can't have two things plugged into the ALDL at once. I like to have the dash gauges functional at the same time I have the laptop hooked up for troubleshoot, datalogging, or tuning.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure exactly what you are looking for...but aeroforce makes a scan gauge that displays just about anything the PCM will spit out. Minus oil pressure for the f-body cars, and trans temp for the M6 cars.

Also...I was pretty sure you could plug two things into the ALDL. If nothing else, atleast have a switch set up to go between whatever two things you need plugged in. Then you dont have to plug and unplug. Just hit the switch.

J.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Also...I was pretty sure you could plug two things into the ALDL. If nothing else, atleast have a switch set up to go between whatever two things you need plugged in. Then you dont have to plug and unplug. Just hit the switch.
J.
With the Diagnostic port being a serial connection, I would think you'd still have to turn off the car, flip the switch, then restart it. Am I wrong in this?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt think so... Im pretty sure I can unhook my scan gauge with the car running, and plug it back in without issue. But I dont know... the PCM is still kind of mysterious to me. haha. I havent gotten into tuning enough yet. So I could just be blowing smoke...

J.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Not too worried about not having gauges while tuning. WOT tuning will be done on the dyno after most of the around town, cruise etc will be done with a passenger hitting the keys. I was trying to figure out how to accomplish using a factory type cluster so I could utilize the factory sensors already on the engine and trans. If I picked up a BCM I think I would be able to wire it as it would be from the factory and still use the ALDL for tuning without issue. If there was a way to accoplish this without adding a BCM that would be even better!