Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How much clutch throw is too much? Adj. master question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much clutch throw is too much? Adj. master question...

Hey everyone. I just replaced my clutch master cylinder not too long ago. I installed the ram adjustable clutch rod into the new master while doing the drill mod. It was "ok" at first. But I was starting to have trouble getting into first and reverse while the engine was running. Sometimes it would slip right in, other times it was alittle notchy, sometimes it was down right difficult.

Anyway...I set the adjust rod to right around stock length. However, the clutch pedal was lower than the brake pedal. Today I got under and adjusted so the clutch pedal was just a tad higher. Now...I have butter shifts going into first and reverse. And shifting through is tons smoother. I guess its disengaging the clutch fully now.

However...the clutch travel seems excessive now. Engagement is kinda of high, but I guess thats ok because it should help with quicker shifts.

My question is...can there be too much clutch pedal travel? I dont think Im hitting the internal stop inside the master cylinder yet. Is there anything wrong with having the engagment alittle high? It grabs at the last 1/3 of travel ide say. Maybe alittle higher.

It feels good, I just think I have to get used to it. Im used to the shorter throw and where it was engaging...so now its different and I might just need to get used to it.

Thanks for any feedback!!!

Justin
Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I drove it to work today... Im already adjusting to the new pedal height and the feel for the engagement point. I have to say, and maybe its just my imagination, but the car feels a ton better. Much smoother now.

When I shift, I can make it feel as smooth as an auto. Before, it seemed to be grabbing really quick and would make the ride alittle jerky. Just seems to be easier to keep smooth. Starting from a stop seems easier as well. Im not sure why...but it does.

When I get home, I might measure exactly how far the rod is being pushed into the master...just incase someone needs to know that for some reason. I want to try some 6500 rpm quick shifts today and see how it feels. All I know is its awesome to be able to slid into first and reverse again without feeling like Im making metal shavings. haha.

Justin