Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Last Hi-flo turbo finally finished!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Last Hi-flo turbo finally finished!

well i finished my turbo tonight and started it up... 10 months in the making! (plus one year waiting for the turbo!) so total almost 2 years!!!!

so far no problems, nothing melted! the kit makes boost very fast, the car hasnt been tuned yet but if i give it any more then 30% throttle the boost gauge shoots up to 0-1! (i hope i ddint run too lean), i also hope that means there are no leaks as well!

im going to post up some pictures tomorow

but i have 2 quick questions:

1) i dont have a vacuum/boost line hooked up to the tial wastegate yet, will that make more or less boost?

2) also i havent seen any smoke come from the turbo or exhaust, does that mean i dont have an oiling issues like many people have, or will they come up after ive floored the car?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff...got any pics/vids???
Old 07-10-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must feel great to get it running after all that.

Glad to hear you got it running and good luck with the little final touches
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Launching!

1) i dont have a vacuum/boost line hooked up to the tial wastegate yet, will that make more or less boost?

2) also i havent seen any smoke come from the turbo or exhaust, does that mean i dont have an oiling issues like many people have, or will they come up after ive floored the car?[/QUOTE]

1) more boost. alot of boost. get the line hooked up for safety.

2) when your oil gets hot it thins. compond this with high rpm oil pressure ( some cars as high as 75 psi) oil will want to sneek past the seals, but hey you have to start somewhere. your on a better start than my first tubo project.

cant wait to see pics.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigJls1

2) also i havent seen any smoke come from the turbo or exhaust, does that mean i dont have an oiling issues like many people have, or will they come up after ive floored the car?

do u know y it will make more boost? it uses a constant pressure boost line from the turbo, i figured it would make less boost. does the line help push the wastegate open? (since it goes to the bottom of the wastegate)

also since it would make more boost dosnt that mean i might have some leaks considering i had to give it a good amount of throttle to hit 1psi, or will i never know until i floor it?

Last edited by 2002/Black/SS; 07-11-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

The wastegate bleeds boost so you will make infinite boost until you hook up the wastegate to the compressor of the turbo or intake manifold or other source.

Motors begin to smoke or spray oil mist out of the VC breather after they wear or are put under extreme pressures. You haven't even used the kit as of now so it is like you never installed it. If it didn't do it before, it won't do it now either. Not to say that it won't do it eventually but wait until you actually use the kit and see. Do you have breathers on your VC's or a good PCV set-up? Make sure you unhook your fuel system EVAP line from the intake. You don't want positive pressure in that line.

As far as it leaking boost, once again, don't worry about it. You haven't used it yet so how would you know? Do you have some reason to believe that it is leaking like you are not confident in your installation abilities or something? My car wouldn't make boost at 30% throttle either. You have to get the exhaust moving to turn the turbo fast enough to make boost. I didn't see any boost at part-throttle until I was on the freeway with a load on the motor. I was cruising in fifth gear at 2000rpm and it would hit 3 to 4 lbs with ease.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Second Club

Make sure you unhook your fuel system EVAP line from the intake. You don't want positive pressure in that line.

can you elaborate on this more?

congrats on getting her running btw.. i know how it is to have to wait and it sucks!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats. At the end of the month the boost on mine will get turned up and the 2-step hooked up so make some solid 10-second passes. I've been upgrading the looks since I now have the power.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
Make sure you unhook your fuel system EVAP line from the intake. You don't want positive pressure in that line.

can you elaborate on this more?

congrats on getting her running btw.. i know how it is to have to wait and it sucks!!!
really? my evap line is still hooked up...and have not had any probs with fuel
Old 07-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

Congrats again my friend...

Guys, I was with him last night...lemme tell you something, this car is BAD ***...sounds like a frigging jet on the tarmac...WOW....

Good going man!
Now on to the fueling!

Erik
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SStolen
The wastegate bleeds boost so you will make infinite boost until you hook up the wastegate to the compressor of the turbo or intake manifold or other source.

Motors begin to smoke or spray oil mist out of the VC breather after they wear or are put under extreme pressures. You haven't even used the kit as of now so it is like you never installed it. If it didn't do it before, it won't do it now either. Not to say that it won't do it eventually but wait until you actually use the kit and see. Do you have breathers on your VC's or a good PCV set-up? Make sure you unhook your fuel system EVAP line from the intake. You don't want positive pressure in that line.

As far as it leaking boost, once again, don't worry about it. You haven't used it yet so how would you know? Do you have some reason to believe that it is leaking like you are not confident in your installation abilities or something? My car wouldn't make boost at 30% throttle either. You have to get the exhaust moving to turn the turbo fast enough to make boost. I didn't see any boost at part-throttle until I was on the freeway with a load on the motor. I was cruising in fifth gear at 2000rpm and it would hit 3 to 4 lbs with ease.
i wasnt talking about that, im talking about smoke from the exhuast from the turbo pushing oil past the seals, like how everyone talks about puting restictors etc. i was wondering when those problems come up.

and yes i have unhooked my evap and blocked off all vacuum leaks etc.

and right now i a completely unhooked pcv system. im going to put a catch can on it today and go buy some one way valves
Old 07-11-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
well i finished my turbo tonight and started it up... 10 months in the making! (plus one year waiting for the turbo!) so total almost 2 years!!!!

so far no problems, nothing melted! the kit makes boost very fast, the car hasnt been tuned yet but if i give it any more then 30% throttle the boost gauge shoots up to 0-1! (i hope i ddint run too lean), i also hope that means there are no leaks as well!

im going to post up some pictures tomorow

but i have 2 quick questions:

You will not know you have an oiling issue until you have floored the car thats when we found out. We are working on my issue right now turbonetics still thinks the turbo is ok we are checking oil pressure out the feed line and disconecting the drain a visually watching how much oil is draining. If those two things are fine then we are gonna go back to using oil restrictors and more cleaning out the pipes and letting the car run longer to see if the smoking goes away. We might even go to a smaller -3an feed line from a -4an feed line??? I hope you do not have the oiling issue also!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 52172
You will not know you have an oiling issue until you have floored the car thats when we found out. We are working on my issue right now turbonetics still thinks the turbo is ok we are checking oil pressure out the feed line and disconecting the drain a visually watching how much oil is draining. If those two things are fine then we are gonna go back to using oil restrictors and more cleaning out the pipes and letting the car run longer to see if the smoking goes away. We might even go to a smaller -3an feed line from a -4an feed line??? I hope you do not have the oiling issue also!
well i unhooked my intake piping and floored my car on the street to let the turbo spool up, and my oil pressure went really high like it always does and no smoke came out or anything. i hope that means its all good! (i did see about 85psi of oil pressure)

also ill post up some pictures of my oil feed/drain. i think i did a really good job, so it might help u to compare it
Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

trust me we have the best possible oil feed and drain setup also its -4 an feed @ 12 oclock and true -10an drain @ 6 o clock tapped into the front of the pan above oil level with a straight downhill path can't get anybetter than that.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh why are you selling some 60 lb injectors what did you end up using as far as injectors?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

The wastegate without a reference line is going to make alot of boost. The valve in the gate that moves requires a reference on the bottom side of the blatter to move the valve, and let exhaust pass through the gate.

As far as evap, it is not necessary that you disconnect it, it doesnt purge when the car will be in boost.

As far as the smoking turbo......it sounds like it is good so far but I wouldnt count my chickens till you get some boost to her and get it tuned. If all is fine then you are good to go.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 52172
Oh why are you selling some 60 lb injectors what did you end up using as far as injectors?
i have 60s, the 60s im selling are for a customer (i work at a performance shop)
Old 07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

PICTURES!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks pretty awesome. Do you have any pics of the hot parts? Still have the ac? How does the down pipe run?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Look at that beast. I was with him last night when we started it up, the damn thing sounds like a jet. Its crazy. lol 10 months Josh, FINALLY!! I'm happy for ya bro, lets get this thing finished up and start hitting some local meets and shows again.

And thanks again for all your help with my car, I cant get over the lope. Its so sick.

Quick Reply: Last Hi-flo turbo finally finished!