Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for x-pipe exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for x-pipe exhaust

I am looking and wanting to swap out my y-pipe exhaust to a dual exhaust x-pipe setup. I know Texas speed has a setup and so does Dr. Gas.

I have seen Trans Ams like mine with x-pipe exhaust that runs out the back under the axle. How safe is that? I have BMR 1" drop springs on and already scrap a couple brackets on the y-pipe.

I thought I seen some T/A's with dual exhaust x-pipe setup over the axle on both sides. Anyone know of a company that builds these or is it just custom work? I am trying to decide if I should just buy Dr. Gas's x-pipe piece and take it to a muffler shop to have them build the rest of the exhaust or if I can get Texas Speed setup and add onto it and run it out the back over or under the axle.

I hope you see what I am trying to get at. Please if you have any tips, advice, info or anything let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only pre-made dual setup that goes out the back is made by bassani, and it's expensive. Chances are everything you've seen is custom. Going under the axle is completely safe. I suggest you do some searching in the external engine section, you'll have enough reading to keep you busy for hours and all your questions will be answered.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for clearance, your best bet for a TD setup is side-by-side 2.5" along the stock routing..over the axle and into mufflers

besides the pipes, you'll probably need the BMR upper panhard bar unit for clearance

that setup should tuck up as good as any standard catback...and you can use most of your current Ypipe.

if all you want the TDs for is power increase, you may be better off doing a mufflex 3.5" catback
Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that under the axle would hit at times.

I kinda want to stay with at least a 3" exhaust all the way out instead of 3" to 2.5" in the back.

Still deciding if I would custom run pipe over axle on both sides or not.