Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure sender

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure sender

I recently broke my stock oil pressure sending unit doing my intake swap. I have obtained an autometer full sweep electric (100psi) guage. Where can I pick a sending unit for it and how hard is it to install. I was told that there is an auxillary 3/8 port located just above the oil filter. does anyone have a write that shows how to do this install. I am wondering how hard this is going to be. I am hoping I wont have to tap and thread anything becuase I dont have the means to do so. Let me know fellas.

Last edited by Wheeler99WS6; 07-12-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need an autometer sending unit for an autometer gauge for it to be accurate. And it will involve tapping the plate by the filter. All you have to do is remove the plate which is small, and tap a tube shaped part and clean and reinstall with fittings and line. You must however be very careful to not melt your line on your headers, so you might have to insulate it some. Tap slow so you don't crack the fitting. Call autometer and give them your part # for the gauge. Boone.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

well that sux, I found a corresponding sending unit on jegs but I dont have the tools needed to tap into the block. Not sure what I am going to do right about now. There isnt any local speed shops and I am not sure if I would trust just any shop to do work on my car.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you could get to a vise and borrow or rent a drill. Then all you need is the bits and tap and tools to remove the plate. Have you looked at how small it is? When you tap alum just use a lot of oil and once started use like 1/4 turn at a time or less and then back out to remove the filings, then 1/4 or so and like that till done, and keep it oiled so you don't chatter the threads and screw up the sealing. Once you have the plate off you will see that its going to be easy. Home Depot sells tap and drill sets for a few bucks and all you do is remove the plate and drill out the protrusion on it up to the size that came with the tap, then tap out the protrusion that you have drilled through. The plate then has a hole in it that allows oil and pressure to escape through to the line or sender. Then bolt the plate back on after you clean the threads real good. If I remember right it has a rubber gasket already. I would not trust anyone to not get filings in my motor, most people don't care much about what is not theirs. Boone

Last edited by BOONE; 07-13-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sender