Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Swap Time

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Swap Time

OK i have a 98 Trans Am. I think i'm going to do an intake swap soon and was lookin for a little advice and some input. I plan on goin with the BBK SSI intake cause im planing on putting a little spray on it within the next year. Plus in Richard Holdener's dyno book its the only intake that showed an increase throughout the entire rev range. The reason i want to do an intake swap is because i want to swap out the knock sensors. I guess my knock sensors r holding my car back?? Anyway what should i expect and or watch out for during this little project of mine??
Old 07-14-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well first off, I think the whole 98 knock sensor is a hit or miss problem. There are some sticky's I think that dive into what your car will be doing if you need to really replace it.

I swapped my ls1 for the ls6 intake a while back and it went real smooth. Only thing someone could have trouble with if they were not a veteran is the fuel line. Everything else is turning bolts and unclipping electrical plugs. Me and my buddy swapped mine in about an 1 1/2 hour tops.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Ok should i go with the Proffesional products intake or the BBK? The PP intake comes with those sweet lookin fuel rails but, I read that u have to do sumthing different with the early LS1s when using the fuel rails that come with the PP intake. Is this true? Sumthing about a fuel pressure regulator or a fuel return line? Do u have to order another part besides the intake to do the swap?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:02 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blakern
OK i have a 98 Trans Am. I think i'm going to do an intake swap soon and was lookin for a little advice and some input. I plan on goin with the BBK SSI intake cause im planing on putting a little spray on it within the next year. Plus in Richard Holdener's dyno book its the only intake that showed an increase throughout the entire rev range. The reason i want to do an intake swap is because i want to swap out the knock sensors. I guess my knock sensors r holding my car back?? Anyway what should i expect and or watch out for during this little project of mine??
It depends on when your car was built as to which knock sensors it will have. I do not know the precise date, but later builds in 98 had the new ones. One guy on this forum had the new ones with an 03/98 date. The date is on the driver's door jam plate.

A scan will tell if you have false knock retart. If you know someone with a scanner that is a good place to start

Coolant crossover - you will need to modify the existing one or get the new pieces in a kit (crossover & 2 plugs). You can get the coolant and knock sensor parts (2 sensors and 1 harness) from SDPC.