Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Air Filter?

I had my car tuned with a semi-dirty K&N filter in it.... I recently cleaned it and now it's all bent outa shape and impossible to go back... plus i never really liked the seal... what should i replace it with... I dont wanna go paper because I had it tuned with the K&N.

I thought maybe Fram Air Hogs?

or maybe the Accel Cool Blue (which i cannot find)

ANy other suggestions? anyone know any synthetic filters?

am i gonna have to get my car re-tuned if i go away from K&N?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Tuned with a K&N filter, huh? It won't make a difference if you go to a paper filter, you're not going to lose all 50rwhp that K&N filter promised to deliver. :sarcasm: I'd get a quality paper filter (Wix, Fram, etc.) and call it a day. No need to oil, no need to clean, no need to worry about oil on your MAF screen. (Hey, that ryhmes ) Plus, don't you need an extra seal for the K&N filter to seal properly?

If you're dead set on getting a re-useable filter, I used to have a Holley powershot filter on my car and it sealed great.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a K&N, I've cleaned that thing like 3 or 4 times, no problems here and I put 70+ miles a day on it
Old 07-14-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

How did you ruin the filter?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Everyone has there opinions, Ive run paper and K&N filters and Holley filters, THERE ALL THE SAME, Just pick one and go with it. And the filter wont make a difference on your tune, and this has been discussed over a 98453495858342025 Times already and nobody gets anywhere except an endless debate
Old 07-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just swapped mine over from K&N to Paper NAPA air filter. No more oil in my MAF sensors.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:16 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

K&N, and I really don't know how these guys get oil on their MAF. I've hosed down my K&N's every time and never happens to me.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

I have K&N, no problem at all!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

what if you clean it with water and never used oil for the K&N ? is it going to work !!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

paper filter
Old 07-15-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Everyone has there opinions, Ive run paper and K&N filters and Holley filters, THERE ALL THE SAME, Just pick one and go with it. And the filter wont make a difference on your tune, and this has been discussed over a 98453495858342025 Times already and nobody gets anywhere except an endless debate
The filter will make a difference. Oiled air filters have a tendency to load up very quickly and cause a restriction in the intake tract. This restriction will cause the tune to 'appear' off. This results in pretty severe fuel contamination in the oil that will quickly cause detrimental wear on an engine.

From my experience using oiled air filters, with testing confirmed by oil analysis, they require very regular cleaning which quickly degrades the already poor filtering qualities of these filters.

The jury is still out, but it looks like the Amsoil EaA or EaAU are the ticket to efficient filtering and good flow.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Launching!

ok... i dont really care about the difference between the air filters... lol as long as I can use any one with my tune... by banging my K&N on the ground it got all contorted and now it wont go back so it'll be getting a new one.... I did however hear of some synthetic filters that you can use that are like paper but provide more air flow and less particles... anyone hear of those?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get a holley powershot... the only real reason that you might NEED a paper filter, is if you live in the desert or somewhere with lots of dust/debris..

Old 07-15-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Check out S&B filters. They do not require any additional foam or material to seal correctly like K&N. They also filter more efficiently.

http://www.sbfilters.net/index.php
Old 07-15-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS
ok... i dont really care about the difference between the air filters... lol as long as I can use any one with my tune... by banging my K&N on the ground it got all contorted and now it wont go back so it'll be getting a new one.... I did however hear of some synthetic filters that you can use that are like paper but provide more air flow and less particles... anyone hear of those?
Amsoil EaA and EaAU are both synthetic element filters that are very efficient and do NOT use oil.

See here for infomation on these filters. They also offer this same media in cone type replacement filters here
Old 07-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Amsoil EaA and EaAU are both synthetic element filters that are very efficient and do NOT use oil.

See here for infomation on these filters. They also offer this same media in cone type replacement filters here
yea something like that... can you only buy amsoil stuff online?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS
yea something like that... can you only buy amsoil stuff online?
Yep, sure can. Link here
Old 07-16-2007, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

I've been using an AEM dry flo filter in my truck. They look like the K&N, but they don't take any oil. You just rinse them in a water-like solution once they get dirty. Not sure if they make them for our cars, I will have to check.

Anyone know the verdict on them?

edit: just checked, looks like they don't have one for f-bodies yet.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jeffbab
I've been using an AEM dry flo filter in my truck. They look like the K&N, but they don't take any oil. You just rinse them in a water-like solution once they get dirty. Not sure if they make them for our cars, I will have to check.

Anyone know the verdict on them?

edit: just checked, looks like they don't have one for f-bodies yet.
i have a cone style one of those on my Daily driver... works great wish they made it for f-bodies
Old 07-16-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
The filter will make a difference. Oiled air filters have a tendency to load up very quickly and cause a restriction in the intake tract. This restriction will cause the tune to 'appear' off. This results in pretty severe fuel contamination in the oil that will quickly cause detrimental wear on an engine.

From my experience using oiled air filters, with testing confirmed by oil analysis, they require very regular cleaning which quickly degrades the already poor filtering qualities of these filters.

The jury is still out, but it looks like the Amsoil EaA or EaAU are the ticket to efficient filtering and good flow.
Well as long as its a clean filter it wont make a difference, or will have SUCH A SLIGHT difference not even worth it, this has been proven when a car will dyno back to back with a K&N filter and then a paper filter, and they put down pretty much the same numbers...