Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I get custom tuning??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where can I get custom tuning??

Okay, I've emailed a couple of tuners with what I am wanting to do and I do not like the responce I've gotten, so as a last chance I'm asking here

Basically all I'm wanting to do is to delete out the A.I.R, EGR, CAGS and rear 02's so I can install headers and intake without throwing codes. Anyone know where I can get this done without spending $400+
I know I can buy LS1Edit, which I'd do before paying someone $400+ just to delete a few things, but it's kind of pricy also just to delete the above mentioned items. The tuners that I have contacted want $400+
I'm not wanting a full tune, just a couple of things removed so I won't throw codes. My car is totally stock right now and I'm wanting to install a LS6 intake and Longtube headers w/off road Y-pipe and that's all.

Does anyone know where or who I can get this done? Any advice?
Thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Where can I get custom tuning??

Your just removing the AIR, EGR, rear O2s, replacing with a larger flowing
intake and going with long tube headers and you really think just deleting the
DTCs will get you decent performance using the stock PCM calibration ?
So part of the answer is any one who does tuning as a profession knows more work
is required in the tuning and shys away from just turning codes off for later a
customer could say "tuner so and so tuned my PCM and car now runs like crap" so
when we start tuning we want to correct everything else that needs to be corrected
when your mods have been done. As we say, do it right the 1st time or do not do it at all.

The cost for unlimited LS1edit cost me over $11,000 plus costs for multi laptops
and scanners. Just to get that money back to break even would take how many tunes
if they only charged 200 bucks plus money to feed their face ?
Add cost if shipping PCM and a pro tuner who's only income is from tuning would
lose his shirt.
What you need to do is work with a tuner to do the simple changes you want but then
have them complete the tune when your ready or best case is with the changes you
mention have the tuner do a custom tune that makes your mods perform well with your
engine makeup for what is the sense to do those mods and have the PCM calibraton
still functioning as if still totally stock for turning DTCs off does not make the
fuunctions stop working or the PCM to ignore those functions.

Okay, I've emailed a couple of tuners with what I am wanting to do and I do not like the responce I've gotten, so as a last chance I'm asking here

Basically all I'm wanting to do is to delete out the A.I.R, EGR, CAGS and rear 02's so I can install headers and intake without throwing codes. Anyone know where I can get this done without spending $400+
I know I can buy LS1Edit, which I'd do before paying someone $400+ just to delete a few things, but it's kind of pricy also just to delete the above mentioned items. The tuners that I have contacted want $400+
I'm not wanting a full tune, just a couple of things removed so I won't throw codes. My car is totally stock right now and I'm wanting to install a LS6 intake and Longtube headers w/off road Y-pipe and that's all.

Does anyone know where or who I can get this done? Any advice?
Thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Launching!

First thanks for the response

I agree with everything that you said and I'm not knocking any tuner by any means. Just that I have parts sitting in the floor looking pretty and all but can't or won't install them because of the SES light being on all the time. I do plan on getting a full dyno tune in the future when I do cam/heads and I do not mind paying the $500 or so. I know that installing headers and LS6 intake needs to be tuned in order to get the most from them, but at the same time I'm not going to pay someone $500 to just delete the above mentioned items the have to come back 6 months or so after cam/heads and pay another $500 to have it dyno tuned. If someone would do the above mentioned things for no more than $200, I'd be more than happy to go back to that same person and pay $500 for a full tune.

I could just buy LS1Edit and be done with it, but I know that if I have that kind of tool in my hands I'll always be trying to tweak on it. LOL
Old 05-15-2003, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

There is nothing wrong with that thinking as far as the tuner working with you, I give 2 tunes for the price and they have up to 6 months to have 2nd tune done.
Just keep in mind if just turning the DTC codes off has nothing to do with the fact the sensors are still functioning and PCM is responding to them so they still have an effect on calibraton so tell the tuner not only you want codes turned off but they also disable the EGR and AIR so PCM is not controlling or monitoring them.