Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far back can I place cats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far back can I place cats?

Alright guys I know it sounds rediculas...But as the story goes, I work in a town where the police are ****. I stopped at a gas station on the way home tonight, and our friendly neighbor hood hero decided to start drilling me about passing emissions and running race gas. My car is registered in an area that does not have to pass emissions and I run plain 'ol 93 octane......But the cop also mentioned the raw smell *thanks to my of ORY and ms4 cam*
The last thing I need is my car impounded or a huge *** fine.

I am considering yanking the y pipe and doing true duels if I can get away with mounting the cats just before the mufflers but after the cutouts. Will there be any problems mounting the cats so far back? The mufflers would dump just prior to the axel.

Thank you for any advise.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mount them right off the headers. place them to far back and you defeat their purpose
Old 07-21-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

defeating their purpose would be exactly what it seems like he wants to do. **** them cops. Only a car guy would know they need to be next to the headers to work properly. An a-hole cop would be satisfied the cats were there, reguardless of their placement in the system.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tainted is right, if he's gonna run them for a visual he might as well put them in the right spot. You can also get fined for having them in the wrong spot depending on your state laws. Cats need the heat to function properly.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for the replies so far guys. I was more or less guessing that mounting them too far back could be a concern. I have considered just getting the outer shell of an old cat tack welded around the current exhaust for visuals. But the fact that the cop pointed out the smell is what concerns me. So I am actually trying to make use of the cats to some extent. The last thing I need is to pop the hood to reveal the !emissions that the shop so nicely removed WITHOUT my aproval when I had the cam installed. Best part is they threw it out! So until I can get some of that equipment and set it up for visual only, I'm walking on thin ice. In Morris, I have never had any problems with cops messing with me. Were I work, just outside crap aurora is a whole nother story.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

cut and weld them 4" after the slip fit on the ORY. thats what im gonna do.