Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD II port questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OBD II port questions

I just picked up a scanmaster from a fellow member here and cannot get my port to work with my car. The unit will power up and show the versions but goes dead after that. I just checked it in my buddies car and it works great! I pulled the panel down and removed the plug and found everything to be ok with it. Does anyone have any advice as to where to start the troubleshooting process? I know the port has power as it starts the unit fine. After talking with the Scanmaster on it they thought my port was bad. How can I verify this? Is there a pin on the computer that I can check continuity with the wires on the port? I'm guessing if I did that I should dis-connect my PCM first? Any help would be great!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the cig/accy fuse
Old 07-23-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

Ok, I just checked all of the fuses on the panel and all were good. I checked power to both of the cig/accy jacks and they also checked out good. What's my next step?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The CIG/ACCY fuse is the only one you needed to check for power to the DLC. There's only 4 pins in the connector to check if there's a problem - 2, 4, 5 and 16. www.obdii.com/connector.html Dunno why it won't work.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Is the scan tool VIN sensitive??
Old 07-23-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bird2002
Is the scan tool VIN sensitive??

No. It is a Scanmaster that covers LS1 cars. I tried it in my buddies '02 and it worked great. Previous owner had it in a different car too.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
The CIG/ACCY fuse is the only one you needed to check for power to the DLC. There's only 4 pins in the connector to check if there's a problem - 2, 4, 5 and 16. www.obdii.com/connector.html Dunno why it won't work.

I looked on that website and couldn't find any troubleshooting info. Does anyone have an idea of where to look for troubleshooting info? I couldn't come up with anything thru a search. Now I'm wondering if I'd even be able to have my car tuned?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

I heard from a buddy that the ODBII port should carry some sort of longer warranty thru GM being that it has to due with emissions? Does anyone know if thus us true or where to get more info on it? I am not the original owner of the car (shouldn't matter though).
Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possibly ... since the DLS port is part of emissions checks ..... would probably be quicker and easier to fix yourself though... there's only 3 or 4 pins... do a search here (I'll try to find the info in the morning) ... (I know it's also on hptuners.com/forum) for the DLC Connector pin out...

Your cigarette lighter works correctly right? if you plug a phone charger into it, it works?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by horist
possibly ... since the DLS port is part of emissions checks ..... would probably be quicker and easier to fix yourself though... there's only 3 or 4 pins... do a search here (I'll try to find the info in the morning) ... (I know it's also on hptuners.com/forum) for the DLC Connector pin out...

Your cigarette lighter works correctly right? if you plug a phone charger into it, it works?
I have checked the connections at the port and everything is thight and secure. Yes, I did plud in my wideband to bith the lighter jack and the accessory jack and they both have power. I will try looking at hptuners.com and see if I can find anything there. If all connections seem tight and secure on both ends of the port and I cannot find anything cut or disconnected anywhere. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone else? I'm still having issues with this port and cannot find anything on troubleshooting or fixing the problem. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Default Help!!

I got a wiring schematic from someone on a different forum but am unsure of what type of numbers I should be getting. Does anyone what voltage I should be getting at each pin? Once the power and PCM are disconnected, I was told to check the ohm reading on each pin but am not sure what type of numbers I should be getting. There has to be someone here that has had this issue or can help me troubleshoot my problem.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:35 AM

So when it turns off does the scanmaster actually turn off completely or does the screen just go blank. If the scanner actually turns off completely what you need to do is tap in a test light or voltmeter to the b+ wire at the dlc (should be an orange wire or always pin 16) and when scanner turns off see if the power goes away. You should also do this on the ground wire ( black wire or always pin 4) to see if the ground goes away.

Also if it doesn't seem to be a power or ground issue try a regular scanner to see if it will communicate.