General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PCM coolant temp sensor/knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM coolant temp sensor/knock

A few questions:

1. Do you guys know where the PCM reads the coolant temp? There is a sensor attached to the side of the radiator (by the filler neck). Is it the one?

I have an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge which reads PCM's different parameters, for example, it shows 205F at idle speed. The analog gauge in the cluster shows 185F! wtf? Does the analog gauge have a sensor in the cylinder head somewhere? Which gauge should I trust?

2. Change oil from 10W30 to the synthetic 5W30, now I got a sawing machine, damn more pronounced ticking noise until warm up. Should I change back to the thicker oil? Oil pressure is all good, at idle about 35-40 psi. Just ignore it?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

The sensor right below the filler neck is the coolant level sensor. The coolant temperature sensor is on the drivers side cylinder head. That is where the PCM will read coolant temperature. Im assuming the aeroforce guage that you have plugs into the OBDII diagnostic port? If it does than i would use that reading instead of the guage on the dash. Only because the reading you get from there is what the PCM actually thinks the coolant temperature is...About the sewing machine sound..some oils can make the sewing machine sound a little more pronounced..If it bothers you than switch back..Most LS1's tend to make a little noise at start up, so some people just live with it. Its up to you. You could try a different brand synthetic and see if that helps...I have noticed that some oils in my personal car tend to make it a little more noisey...what brand of oil are you using?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, Travis. Yes, that's the gauge that goes into the OBDII port. A very neat gadget. Maybe you can help me out with these now :-) ...

This week-end I installed the TCI shift kit and B&M external 24k cooler in the return line. Now my tranny temperatures are in the 190F range. Why would the shift kit raise the temps? Is it normal? Before the installation, my tranny wouldn't go higher than 180F on a hot day.

Oh, I flushed my cooling system - replaced the Dexcool with the green coolant. 50/50 mix. I didn't know how far ago the previous owner replaced the coolant. The Dexcool was very thick looking in the drain pan. Almost like a thicker oil in comparison to the new coolant. Here is the sad part: it appears that the Dexcool worked better(!) than its replacement. My average temps here in CA were in 180-190F range, now I am pushing 200-210F. Maybe air trapped in the system?

I probably need to install the manual fans on switch and a 160F thermostat. What do you think?