General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

taillight problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taillight problems

my budy just buaght a 93 ta and he brung it to me to inspect it. i turned the hazzards on and the lights blink like its a cop car on both sides. both outside bulds blink together and the inside ones blink together. I pull the taillights out to check ground connections. when you pull the ground wire out of the connector, that side will work. do it to the other side it works, but as soon as you let go of the wire it gos right back to alternating. went to a junk yard grabbed a wirring harness from a 99 ta and put it in and still the same thing. any one have any idea whats going on hear. thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fastlane02
my budy just buaght a 93 ta and he brung it to me to inspect it. i turned the hazzards on and the lights blink like its a cop car on both sides. both outside bulds blink together and the inside ones blink together. I pull the taillights out to check ground connections. when you pull the ground wire out of the connector, that side will work. do it to the other side it works, but as soon as you let go of the wire it gos right back to alternating. went to a junk yard grabbed a wirring harness from a 99 ta and put it in and still the same thing. any one have any idea whats going on hear. thanks
Do the turn signals work OK? At first I was going to say that you might have worn out sockets but you replaced the harness. Do both elements light up when they are flashing or only one? Sounds like maybe some faulty wiring up in the turn signal switch area.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Launching!

It sounds like you're saying that when your hazards are on, there is always a light on in the back. There is never a time when all the rear lights are off?

If that's the case, does this happen when you have the lights on and the hazards?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Here might be the problem. Maybe the car has an "alternating flasher" unit on it.

VANSUVNEW PRODUCTS JCW Shop > "alternating flasher" > AUXILIARY LIGHT FLASHER CONVERSION KIT AUXILIARY LIGHT FLASHER CONVERSION KIT

Permanently converts grille, bumper warning lights into alternating flashers. Includes flasher, bracket, wiring, switch, hardware and instructions. For 12V systems.

I thought that one of these systems might have been installed on the car for some reason. If so, it would solve your problem.