Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

SES Cam Position Sensor, Tach Cuts In and Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Cam Position Sensor, Tach Cuts In and Out

2002 Formula with 15k miles:

My Tach comes and goes (needle will drop to zero and then come back to life) and every now and then I get P0341 and a P0342 (Cam position sensor low voltage) SES codes. The codes come and go and usually clear themselves out eventually (some times after only a few ignition cycles, sometimes after many ignition cycles).

About the same time this started happening, I noticed that the car had the typical Delco battery acid leak/battery cable corrosion.

I cleaned up the positive cable lead (baking soda bath followed by a wire brush) but noticed some distress on the end of the cable- alot of the gold coating on the cable had corroded away and there was some pitting in the base metal. I put a little vaseline the cable after cleaning it up and installed a new red top Optima.

I'm still having the tach problem and getting the same SES codes since installing the new battery.

Anybody have an opinion? Are the two issues related? (cable corrosion and tach/CPS problem?) Should I replace the battery cable before pulling the intake manifold to check on the CPS and CPS connectors? Anyone have any better ideas? Can a less than ideal battery cable end be causing my tach/cam position sensor problem? If not, what's the most likely cause of my tach/CPS problem?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pull the manifold and try replacing the cam sensor. The tach relies on the CPS for its reading.