General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2 general ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 general ?'s

1. Changed brake pads and there squeling. The rotors and pads were changed at about 70,XXX or so(thats what my g/f said, its her car) then i changed the pads at about 120,XXX I know i probably should have done the rotors also but they didnt look or feel bad. They dont make a noise while im driving just when i place my foot on the pedel and keeps making the noise until about halfway then the sound goes away. It didnt make the noise for the first 200 miles then it started. I used brake grease and made sure everything was seated right. The sound sounds like the low pad bar thing is hitting the rotor but theres no grove in the rotor.

2. Ive heard of the usual LS1 "knock' but theres a sound that sounds like a cross between grinding and the compressor when it kicks on but the ac isnt on and is louder with the ac on. Its coming from the front of the engine right around the belt area of course(maybe timing chain...do they have those with no distributor??). It makes the sound at idle and when i rev it to about 4 grand then it goes away then when it the idle comes back down it starts again.

These may be generic questions but im new the LS1/F-body world. Any info would be helpful and I hope I explained enough to make it easier to diagnois the problem.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Depending on what kind of brake pads you put on your car it could still be the pads. What brand did you put on? Cheap pads will squeak. You should at least get your rotors turned because its cheap and easy to do while you are getting pads, or even replace them with the nice cheap AZ rotors.

2. Your noise sounds like it could be either tensioner pulley, One for the AC and one for the drive belt. Check both of them.

Travis