Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters, due they need to soak in oil........

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifters, due they need to soak in oil........

Before I put my new COMP "R" lifters in my block, due they need to be soaked in oil over night?
Old 05-18-2003, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Lifters, due they need to soak in oil........

i dunno if they "need" too but it wouldn't hurt. mine are sitting in oil right now while i'm waiting on the rest of my parts to come in. but first take some cleaner (i sprayed brake cleaner into a cup and used that) dip the roller into it and move it around a little. it will clean out all the assembly grease on them (as mentioned in the instructions you should've gotton) then let them soak.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soak em! They will hardly make any noise on startup if they are already full of oil.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

According to crane cams you should not soak your lifters in oil over night, they say that when you set preload that it can cause the lifters to act like a solid lifter then you will not get the proper preload set on them, and then when you pump them up, you'll start to get mine. Probably not a problem w/ the stock rocker set up since you just torque all of them down, but if you have the cranes(like me), or another adjustable type rocker you may want to check out some of their websites as to what they recommend doing w/the lifters. I think that I made this mistake...just fired up my motor and lots of noise... so now I get to take the vavle covers off again and relash all of the valves But anyways hope this helps.
www.cranecams.com/hydlfaq.htm