General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What's a fair price...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What's a fair price...

My windshield wipers have been on the brink for a while now... I tried fixing them myself a while back and failed... I don't have the time or patience to try it again so I have decided i'm just gonna take it in...

I went to the Pontiac Stealership earlier today... they quoted me $100 just to diagnose it... and he wasn't for sure how much it would end up costing but guessed around $300

is it just me... or does that seem incredibly steep for windshield wiper repair...?

Just to clarify, i'm not talking about the wiper blades

it's the actual motor...
Old 07-26-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100 bucks would be ok if youve tried and failed....but not 300
Old 07-26-2007, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
My windshield wipers have been on the brink for a while now... I tried fixing them myself a while back and failed... I don't have the time or patience to try it again so I have decided i'm just gonna take it in...

I went to the Pontiac Stealership earlier today... they quoted me $100 just to diagnose it... and he wasn't for sure how much it would end up costing but guessed around $300

is it just me... or does that seem incredibly steep for windshield wiper repair...?

Just to clarify, i'm not talking about the wiper blades

it's the actual motor...
If you think its too much, then tear into it yourself and see how much fun it is working under that overhang.

I'd guess that $400 is a lot less than all the bodywork you'd screw up in a wreck, but thats just me.

As a service manager at a GM 'stealership' (I LOVE that term, by the way!), I'd love to work on F-bodies...but we don't see that many. I also don't charge a 'diagnostic' charge if you get it fixed here...so keep that in mind.

Byrdman
Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MCKNGBRD
If you think its too much, then tear into it yourself and see how much fun it is working under that overhang.

I'd guess that $400 is a lot less than all the bodywork you'd screw up in a wreck, but thats just me.

As a service manager at a GM 'stealership' (I LOVE that term, by the way!), I'd love to work on F-bodies...but we don't see that many. I also don't charge a 'diagnostic' charge if you get it fixed here...so keep that in mind.

Byrdman
I already have torn into it myself... did you not read my post? And it's hardly a $300 job... I could take off all the trim and coverings in about 30 minutes max... the hardest part, and just because I don't know how to do it, is the actual wiper motor being aligned correctley... or whatever else I did wrong for mine not to work correctley... then put everything back together... this should be a 1.5 hour job for a person who knows what they are doing... I could see paying $100-$150...

and yea... stealership is a coined term just cuz the typical dealership likes to rape you when you take your car in there... that's why most of the time, when I can do the work myself I do... otherwise my wallet feels the pain...

Wish you were in AZ... then i'd take it in there.. but apparentley the guys here do charge the "diagnostic" fee and whatever else they decide to tack on to your bill once you have no choice whenever it comes time to pick up the car...

Please don't take any of this personally, as I don't know you, and I have no clue how you or your service department works... but in my many experiences i've had nothing but nightmares, overcharges, and half *** work done by GM dealerships...
Old 07-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats weird they will charge u a diag fee if u know what u want done. I work in the service dept. at a GM dealership also, and I get ppl coming all the time that just tell us they want this replaced or fixed all the time w/o getting a diag. So we dont charge them the $90, just the parts and labor. Get price on the part from the parts dept. then get labor. Tell them thats what you want. If not buy the part and go somewhere else. Im sure there are places around you that will do it.