Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock headers and Hooker Cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edelbrock headers and Hooker Cat-back

Ok, about three weeks ago I installed the Edelbrok LT's and ORY pipe. It was a real pain in the *** to install, I had do do alot of tweaking and had to grind down the d.s. motor mount because the header was hitting it. After about 20 hours to install, I take it for a ride and it sounds like crap to me. There was a retarded rasp/droan noise at 2K and 3K RPM's. Needless to say I was dissapointed.

I ordered the Hooker cat-back and installed it yesterday. Not too much fabrication, but now my car sounds awesome. I took it for a rip about two blocks away from my house, I get back and my G/F and neighbors are outside and they said it sounded great. I myself think it sounds 100% better from inside the car, no more droan.

Not only does it sound great, but this sucker pulls like there is no tomorrow. It will haze the tires through 1st gear (Never used to do that) and I'm doing 80 MPH about 1 second into 2nd. I still have the 2.73.

Now I am happy with the car. Only thing left is to have my stock Z tips welded on because I do not like the tips that come with the exxhaust.

All in all, I would highly recomend this set-up to anyone. I have about $950 total in my exhaust and it sounds awesome and performs fenominal as well.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Launching!

I'm with ya, hooker sounds sweet, could'nt be happier with the way my car sounds
Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Can you guys please post some sound clips? There is only one on the LS1sounds for Hooker and it is from an LT1.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have stock appearing (close to stock square flat not angled) chrome tips from magnaflow. they were about $130. (weld on).
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Launching!

I think Im going to take my tips to a big belt sander and make them slash style instead of the way they are. But thier not bad now. I had to cut my tailpipes tp get the tips to tuck under the bumper, no big deal, I would rather do that than have tails that are to short.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same setup as you, but I welded a pair of cats in the Y pipe. FWIW mine was really nasty sounding down low even with the hooker until I tuned it.

BTW, I had the same problem with the primary hitting the dr side motor mount. Once the car was back together, I had about 2 sheets of paper worth of daylight b/n the header and the mount, so I just left it.