Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head bolt help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head bolt help

My heads are going to be here on Monday and I have ARP head bolts. Now one person said just to put the lube under the head of the bolt and another person I talked to said to put the lube under the head of the bolt and either thread sealant or the lube on the threads. Now which is it? I don't want to do it wrong so I have problems a few miles down the road because it's a lot of work to mess-up. Does anything go on the threads? Loctite, lube, or thread sealant? Thanks for any information in advance.

Adam
Old 05-18-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Head bolt help

Well you should have gotten a set of instructions from arp with your head bolts, but they recommend that you use their moly lube on the threads and torque down the heads to 65 ftlbs for aluminum. Now of course on our motors not all of the bolts get 65 ft lbs. First go through the torque sequence and torque everything down to 22lbs, then just the lower bolts, 1-10 on the sequence, torque them to about 45. Then the final setting 65 and torque down 1-10. Then reset your torque wrench to 22lbs and check the small bolts at the top of the head. ARP also says that if you don't have any moly lube they recommend a straight 30 weight oil on the threads. But that increases the torque setting. Check out their website is the best advice, but I just did this the other day so it is really fresh in my mind. Good luck!!!