Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a few questions about building an engine...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a few questions about building an engine...

so im getting ready to clean and rebuild my motor. i have a couple questions (i will probably add to this as well) first off what should i used to clean the motor, i heard simple green wasnt all that good for aluminum. also, im trying to find piston rings for it, the chevy dealer wanted almost 300 dollars for them. and would i always have to file them or is there any i can just throw in there? and if i do need to file them, what should i use? also how should i go about cleaning up the crank surfaces? ok well thats it for now. thanks

brian
Old 08-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

to the top
Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Z
so im getting ready to clean and rebuild my motor. i have a couple questions (i will probably add to this as well) first off what should i used to clean the motor, i heard simple green wasnt all that good for aluminum. also, im trying to find piston rings for it, the chevy dealer wanted almost 300 dollars for them. and would i always have to file them or is there any i can just throw in there? and if i do need to file them, what should i use? also how should i go about cleaning up the crank surfaces? ok well thats it for now. thanks

brian
You can use regular laundry detergent to clean the block, just mix it in a bucket of hot water. You can find brushes in Summit or Jegs to scrub the cylinders and get into the oil passages, which is kinda important. Once it's clean, blow all the water off so it doesn't rust and spray some WD-40 on there to keep it from rusting.

To file fit rings, you're gonna need a ring squaring tool. It's basically a stepped cylinder to put the ring in the cylinder straight. Use a feeler guage to measure the gap and then file it with a ring filing tool. The manual ones are pretty cheap I think, but the electric ones are kinda pricey.

If the crank surfaces aren't too bad, a soft bruch and solvent should be OK, but you can always pay the extra money and just have them polished or ground if need be. Be sure to clean off all parts before you assemble it with Laquer thinner or acetone.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

is there anything special i should worry about priming the oil pump? i got a new slp ported pump from ls1speed. thanks a lot