Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod/Power Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod/Power Question

I recently purchased a 99 z28 auto looking to add ls6 heads a bbk intake manifold mild cam..full exhaust
any1 have any suggestions on a cam or disagree with the selections
loooking to go fairly cheap as i didnt pay much for the car
thanks
Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first thing you should do is work on suspension stuff and rearend before you start looking for HP...little things that are good to start out with are: air lid, cat back exhaust, headers & y-pipe, and a tune...

suspension wise you should atleast get some lower control arms, that way when you stomp on it, it doesnt feel like your rearend is going to rip off because the stockers arent really that great...

cam selection: if you are looking for a mild one, check out the hot cams... if you get a shop to install a cam, its not going to be just the price of the cam and a little bit of money to install... depending on shop and the supporting parts for a cam it can cost anywhere from 1000-1700 give or take....that doesnt include if the cam you selected requires a bigger stall converter...are there any requirements you are looking for to consider with a cam selection (ie. power, drivability, sound) your best bet is to talk to a car shop or sponsor and determine which one is suited best for you then find out the price of that and figure out what other things you are going to need for the swap

heads: same thing as cam...call a shop or sponsor...you can probably get other heads for a little bit more than the ls6 setup that will give you a little bit more power...if you do heads and cam at the same time, some shops give you a discount for the package (not including installation)

i personally like the look of the fast intake manifold...a little bit more pricey...but worth it imo...i dont know what the difference in power between the bbk and the ls6 (probably not much imo)

exhaust really depends on sound preferance...ive got a flowmaster on mine with a cutout...picked up 13whp with the cutout off...ive heard that the electric cutouts wear out...mine is the manual 3 bolt type...pacesetter headers are good for starters...kooks and qtp are more $$$ but ive heard they are worth it...true duals sound better than a system with a ypipe...but that is more of a personal preferance as well

everything depends on what you want...we can give selections but in the end it is what you want...

good luck with your car...oh yeah just be warned...once you start modding...you wont stop...its addicting

Last edited by crazboy99; 08-01-2007 at 10:37 PM.