Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Oil Leak

I RECENTLY HAD THE REAR MAIN SEAL AND OIL PAN GASKET REPLACED ON MY 2000 SS CAMARO. IT DID FIX ALOT OF THE PROBLEM SINCE I REMEMBER WHERE OIL WAS COLLECTING. HOWEVER, I STILL HAVE A LEAK AND IT IS LEAVING OIL ON MY RACK AND PINION AND THE ENGINE SKIDPLATE OR CROSSOVER, NOT SURE WHAT ITS CALLED. THE OIL IS TRAILING ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE TRANS. IT SEEMS THAT THE OIL IS SPRAYING OUT NOT LEAKING SINCE THERE IS NO VISIBLE OIL LEAKS OR TRAILS. ALSO, IT SEEMS TO LEAK AFTER I DRIVE IT FOR 30 MINUTES OR MORE. I THINK IT IS SPRAYING OUT UNDER PRESSURE AND COLLECTION ON THE CROSS MEMBER AND DRIPPING WHEN THE CAR IS PARKED. I HOPE I DIDN'T CONFUSE THE F*** OUT OF YOU, CUZ I AM CONFUSED.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Change the oil and put in some stop leak. It fixed my leak.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I would never use stop leak, that stuff cant be good for your motor. Well based on your post im confused. If oil is covering the rack is the leak coming from the rear or front main seal? Did you do the repair yourself?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

if it is toward the rear, are you sure the filter isnt leaking at all? or the o ring in the filter is leaking.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

I'm almost positive that the oil is coming from the front some where. When driving the oil is making its way back to the trans and is definately starting from the front somewhere. But oil is on parts in front of the pan. Could the crank seal be seeping oil when driving? Can any seal or gasket leak when driving but not when parked?