Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap goes sideways, need to pull heads, going aftermarket now. Which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Cam swap goes sideways, need to pull heads, going aftermarket now. Which ones?

So, got to the point today where we were ready to pull the cam, and when spinning the cam, it sounded like one of the lifters was still on the cam even with the dowel rods all the way in. Took a pen magnet to all 16 and every spin still made this rattle like a lifter was riding. Was NOT going to take the chance of pulling the cam and having the lifter fall. Choice was made to pull the heads. While initially I wanted to be "cam only", I figured "what the hell" and will get some aftermarket heads since the heads are off. The cam I'm sitting on right now is the Torquer V3 231/234 .644/.598 111 LSA, so I'd like to build around that. Just wanted to get some input on what kind of head would work really well. I'm not looking for a "***** out track car", but I want to "do it once" and be done with it, so if that means going bigger for a couple of hundred dollars, I'll do it. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money is an object, you might want to look at the Patriot ported 243's, Livernois, and Texas Speed.. or other sponsors for ported GM castings. They won't be top of the line aftermarket power makers obviously, but they are a lot cheaper. I picked up my Patriot 243's with a valve job on stock size valves and dual springs for 980$ last labor day.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool. I am looking into the Patriots. Right now, money is a not too big of an object. Really, I want the middle to high end, but am willing to spend around $2000 for all the crap to make this work. ARP studs, Gaskets, Heads and whatever misc. bullshit that comes up. Anybody else have any input on the head selection?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with the 243 from patriot with the t-rex and would not cjange anything. cheap and runs awsome. good luck man.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah patriot 243s come assembled with dual springs good for .650 lift ,cnc ported and all that forabout $1k .
talk to gunnar on the board as he is with patriot and tell him what type of cam you got . you could also read up on the clay method to see hoe much you can mill the heads to bump up the compression without flycutting .