Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine selection.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine selection.....

As you know, a while back I purchased a bare 21K mile iron 6.0L block for a mere $50. And it needs everything to complete and I do mean EVERYTHING! Lifters, oil pump, oil pan, valley cover, crankshaft, heads, etc... I have been digging around and since I'm going to swap a Gen 3 engine into my G-body, what parts from either a 4.8L or 5.3L would swap into the 6.0L block? I've been finding both engines for less than $600 with fairly low miles. Is a 4.8L or 5.3L even worth building? I have found out that the 5.3L was also offered in an aluminum block for a few years. Is that anything to look into? What heads will bolt up to the 5.3L and work right aftermarket wise? Sorry for all of the questions. Still learning about these dudes.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Keep the 6.0..
Pretty much everything with these Gen III/Gen IV Engines are all interchangeable. CrankShafts are the same, upgrade the Oil Pump, get a Cam and LS2 Timing Chain, and the reason I say keep the 6.0 is cause there is all kinds of potenial with that Engine..
Old 08-05-2007, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I do plan on keeping the 6.0L that's not an issue. What I'm wondering is what parts from the cheaper engine can I swap over to finish off the 6.0L? I plan on using the 5.3L just to get the engine swap done so I can drive it around. Basic mods done to it include ported heads, decent cam, not too sure of intake manifold. I'd like to use an Edelbrock Vic jr spyder intake on the 6.0L to eliminate the chance of running lean on cyl #7. Is this a problem with the FAST LSX intake? I'm going to be running old school for a while with the Edelbrock Performer RPM carbed intake and ignition controller by MSD to get it up and running. EFI will come along later on when funds allow it.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The Internals can be used..I would upgrade the Timing Chain and the Valve Train, the Rockers are good. The use all your Cover Plates.