LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

replaced opti, have fuel, have spark but engine wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced opti, have fuel, have spark but engine wont start

i just replace my optispark and my car will not start. All the plug wires are in correct spot, i have spark, its getting fuel, all sensors are back in place. It almost fired up once but now it wont at all. Also have been needing to charge the battery every time i try after it has been sitting for a few weeks. Can anyone help?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

It is possible to get your opti on wrong and it will cause the timing to be way off. I have done it before. When you put your opti on did it sit flush against the front cover or did you have to close a gap when you tightened down the bolts? It should have been flush. One other possbility is that the water pump temp sensor is not plugged in, that will cause a non start condition.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

if you havent already checked them take a look at your spark plugs, they could be fouled out.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

you did the exact same i did with my opti, and it is because it is on wrong, chances are it is not lining up in the timing cover so you have to pull it all back off and line it up, i tried it 3 times and it still wouldnt work, it would drive but was real sluggish and backfiring like crazy, i had to take it to a performance shop, they charged me 210 and reinstalled it perfectly and now it drives great.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

my plugs appear to be foulded out, and im almost 100% sure i put the opti on correct. I didnt have to tighten it down to close a gap or any thing. lets see how it goes after the plugs are changed... Thanks everyone
Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbird94
my plugs appear to be foulded out, and im almost 100% sure i put the opti on correct. I didnt have to tighten it down to close a gap or any thing. lets see how it goes after the plugs are changed... Thanks everyone
yeah i was 200% sure since i did it 3 times but i was still just a hair off. Im still thinking your opti is on wrong.

Quick Reply: replaced opti, have fuel, have spark but engine wont start