Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some protection against valve float...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some protection against valve float...

Just wondering what kind of rocker arm and spring combinations would offer the most protection against the dreaded valve float I was considering the Yellow Terra rocker arms but I'm clueless on what springs to go with. I have got stock internals on a 1999 LS1. Iv floated a valve already and now I have 0 compression on #7 from a miss on 3rd to 4th and am not going to harm my baby again!!
Any feedback on the Yellow Terra rockers (likes/dislikes) would be appreciated. Thamks
Old 05-21-2003, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Some protection against valve float...

Somebody else will have to give you a report on the Yellow Terras. But, the rev limiter (if still set at stock spec) will not allow you to spin that stock LS1 to the point of valve float.

You say you missed 4th on a shift. I presume you went into 2nd and mechanically overeved the motor. The rev limiter will not help you one bit if its mechanically overreved.

You more than likely bent some pushrods. Pull them and replace the S shaped rods. Unless your luck has completely run out and you bent a valve, you will get your compression back.

No parts are avail for the LS1 that will prevent this damage on a missed shift (other than maybe a quality shifter)
Old 05-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Some protection against valve float...

Hey what you need is the skip shift mod . . . if you haven't changed your rear end ratio, you can use LS1edit to reprogram your PCM to lock out 2nd gear while you make that infamous 3r to 4th shift.