Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Interested in buying '98 V6 Camaro for daily driver. Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interested in buying '98 V6 Camaro for daily driver. Tips?

What should I look for if I'm looking to buy a '98 V6 Camaro? A coworker is offering me an incredible deal (more like a steal!). The car is high in mileage (150k) but looks to be in great condition. Just what I need for the convenience of daily driving and still maintaining the slick F-body appearance. Went for a ride and it seemed fine. What should I look for before purchasing? What are these motors known for in terms of problems and convenience? I'd imagine a tune up would restore it pretty well. Spark plugs, wires, seafoam, O2s, filters, flushing, new fluids, etc. Where can I go to read about the 3800 Camaros? I'm not looking to make it fast at all, just need it to be reliable.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a brand new 97 Camaro V6, 5M, with the Y87 package and I loved the car the entire 9 years that I had it. It never gave me a bit of trouble, which is more than I can say for my current 97 Z28. The engine is supposedly an old design but it was updated to the point that IMO it was more modern than the LT1, specifically, NO OPTI!!!

With the Y87 package, which is basically the same as the Z suspension, it handled as well as my Z, especially without as much weight on the front. Performance was more than acceptable - no, it won't keep up with a LT1, but it didn't get dusted by Mustangs. Gas mileage was MUCH better than my LT1. The main thing I hated about the car was the top speed limiter. LOL

I traded it in last year for my wife's 2006 Grand Prix w/SC and it had 80k miles. Never had to replace the clutch. The only major repair was the air conditioner condenser, which really isn't engine-related. Sorry, I honestly can't say what problems to look out for with the 3800 engine because I never had any problems.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Rear main is notorious for small leaks. It usually leaks a small amount of oil, very unnoticeable. For some reason my car doesn't have this leak... yet :/

Quick Reply: Interested in buying '98 V6 Camaro for daily driver. Tips?