Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Exhaust Question for the Veterans...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!! Exhaust Question for the Veterans...

I've finally decided to begin modding my TA. The only mods on it are a flowmaster catback and a K&N filter. This is how I got it 3 yrs ago with 11k miles (has 19k now). I want to start with a lid and a completely new exhaust. Here's what I don't want...

I'd rather not run true duals b/c of ground clearance issues...
I don't want alot of rasp, (no LM, etc)...
I don't want to run cats and sacrifice power but will if that's the only solution for the proper sound...

I really like the QTP LT's but have read on here that their off road y pipe sux. I also really like the GMMG but am concerned about the sound being too raspy w/out cats and some older posts on here say that the GMMG is too restrictive..

What do you veterans who have been there done that recommend for the best LT/Y/catback combination for power/sound? I couldn't find any posts comparing dyno's of the various catbacks. If I go with the GMMG, which Y should I use and should I run hi flow cats? Are there any other parts that will be necessary to hook this system? thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by rsodeputy61; 08-09-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Edelbrock headers are nice and good price. Their Y pipe also has a pretty good merge. After that it really doesnt matter what catback you put on it because they all will have the less than desirable flutter around 3000, some less than others. I think Hooker will probably have the least rasp. It would be interesting to hear the Edelbrock catback as well because I have yet to hear one on an LS1 with an ORY.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey full force where in sc you at. I am in the Rock Hill area
Old 08-12-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty much all are going to have the rasp issue with an ORY. Cats or true duals are really the only way to get rid of it.