Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Finally, everything is working perfectly !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, everything is working perfectly !!!

Hopefully this writeup will help someone.

Earlier this year I did a A4-M6 swap. I had a stock master and slave. The master was used but the slave was new. I have a Textralia OZ700 clutch. I made sure the system was bled well and drove it around. Everything felt great, good pedal and no clutch chattering. When I finally had the chance to get on it, I had a hard time shifting from 2-3. Just wouldn't go and my clutch pedal went to the floor. So I bled it again and ended up with the same results.

I decided to order a McLeod master over the RAM, it cost more so I figured it would be better quality. Wrong... I bench bled and installed the first McLeod and put it in. Pedal felt good. Looked under my hood and saw it was leaking fluid. I called Summit Racing up and they sent me out a new one. I bled the new one and installed it. Pedal felt good and no leaks. I took it out for a test drive and the pedal got soft and felt like I didn't have any pedal pressure. I pumped it a few times and the pedal came back. I bled the system again. Same results when I drove it. Pedal feels fine, start to drive pedal goes just about to the floor then works ok again. I did some searching and saw a bunch of people had the same problem and it is due to the way it is made.

I called Summit again and told them the problem I was having and they told me to send it back. I then ordered and had them sent me out a RAM Adjustable Master Cylinder. So I bench bled it and installed it. Pedal felt a little soft. Took it for a ride and it was engaging right off the floor. Then I tried to get on it and it had a hard time on the 2-3 shift and the pedal felt like it was starting to stick to the floor. So I adjusted it by turning the eyelet a few turns and reinstalled it. Pedal felt much better. Took it for a ride. The pedal engaged about 1-1.5" off the floor and I was able to bang the gears on the 2-3 and 3-4 shift with no problem and not a hint of the pedal sticking.

Bottom line, if your pedal sticks to the floor while shifting at high rpm or have a hard time shifting the gears, either buy a RAM Adjustable Master or modify the stock one. The quality of the McLeod is terrible. I know there are a few people that had luck with them but for $350 no one should have a problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

great info! Looks like I'll be getting the RAM adjustable when I upgrade my clutch, hydraulics, and rebuild the tranny
Old 08-16-2007, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

i have ram everything...master,slave, clutch... and had to get a new master cuz the pedle was still soft after getting on it. put the new 1 in and its a little better but still noticeably softer then normal driving...