Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock intake internals

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default stock intake internals

Inside the stock LS1 intake, there are 3 center posts which connect between the floor and ceiling. I'm wondering if removing these will create additional air flow or will it cause an imbalance of flow between cylinders? These 3 posts don't appear to have any real function, save to create a little rigidity within the manifold. Any opinions/experiences? If they can be removed for additional airflow, is there a way to open up the manifold for easy removal? Thanks, gMAG
Old 05-25-2003, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: stock intake internals

Many people have cut apart a stock intake trying to find a little extra HP. So far no one has been successful. Remember the stock ZO6 intake is good for some pretty large HP numbers.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

WWU; Thanks. Looking inside of that baby makes me want to separate it, reshape the rear wall toward the back two cylinders, and eliminate any corners (AND remove the posts).
With such a great engine, I can't figure out why a comparable intake took so long to be created.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet it would fold up like a beer can first time you drove it.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time over 20" of vacuum is produced it would deform, or possibly crack. You figure with that much vacuum you have the equiv (a guess on my part) of about 20 lbs per Sq In of pressure pushing at the manifold. I believe Dave is right.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Guys, I would be ADDING material inside to change airflow direction, not removing material. If the 3 existing posts are only there to provide support, they could be replaced with more of an airfoil design.
Thanks for saving Mr. Science (me) from the crumpled beer can effect. I was just conjuring up a ready excuse to those who might witness such an event. "That's right, my exhaust is SOOO powerful, that it sucked in the manifold!"