Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust suggestion

Well i just recently bought a 2001 WS6 for my daily driver, the car is bone stock and i am wanting to just get the basic bolt-ons for it. I want this car to stay quiet but yet have a little tone to it. I have two options either i get the SLP off-road y-pipe and keep the stock catback or I just change the catback. I wanted to know what you guys think i should do? Which is going to sound better and which is going to produce the most power. I am not too concerned about the power but more so the sound and sound level.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO an ORY would be too loud. Compared to some people's setups on here, not loud enough. From what I understand in reading your post, I'd suggest either a magnaflow or hooker. They both have a nice rumble to them without being annoying for a daily driver. Power increase is going to be about the same with any well designed catback (magnaflow, hooker, corsa, borla, slp LM, etc). Just stay away from flowmaster and you'll be fine.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a cutout.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to do this but I dont wanna post another thread so similar right on top of this one so you are being

Ok so, I use my '02 SS as a daily driver and one of the first things i wanna do are my headers and exaust. Im wanting to do the long tubes but I just cant see blowing my street legality out the window on the first mod (correct me if im mistaken please). As for the exaust, I know everyone says the flowmasters suck but damn I love the sound of it... it just needs to be LOUDER. The car came used with a flowmasters so it's not like I paid for it but I want to keep that depth in the tone instead of making it sound like its yelling at the top of its lungs.

I've heard the true duals setup and holy **** it sounds good but I didnt feel the boom i was lookin for and there's no way i'd want to hear somthing like that each and every single time I ever get into my car.

So where's the line? What's the best header setup that I dont have to change everytime I get an inspection and whats the best exaust that has the flowmasters sound but, louder and without the FM power loss?

Oh yea and I apologize for anything in here that makes you think "...wtf... he's a "
Old 08-17-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98redM6
IMHO an ORY would be too loud. Compared to some people's setups on here, not loud enough. From what I understand in reading your post, I'd suggest either a magnaflow or hooker. They both have a nice rumble to them without being annoying for a daily driver. Power increase is going to be about the same with any well designed catback (magnaflow, hooker, corsa, borla, slp LM, etc). Just stay away from flowmaster and you'll be fine.
Do you think the ORY would be loud with stock manifolds and stock catback? I know the power increase will be more with the ORY vs. a catback because from what i understand the stock WS6 catback is not to restrictive.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, you'll get a thousand diff opinions on this but if your ws6 has SLP D/D from the factory its not bad. i asked my local speed shop TPIS for a quiet performance catback and a guy there said edelbrock RPM its muffler has 3 aprox 1 inch staight threw tubes and is IMO quiet normal driving but if you get on it it sounds great. i'm 43 with a sensitive ear. no officers will be offended sitting next to you at a light. just my 2 cents summit has for $290
Old 08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tylerdj
Get a cutout.
I would if the car wasnt in such good condition. I dont want to start cutting anything on this car. I want to keep it pretty much original expect for some real nice tasteful mods. Basically just lid, catback,springs, and maybe a few other little things.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anymore opinions?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you just want basic bolt ons then I would suggest an SLP Loudmouth or the TSP Rubler catback. It sounds like you want to keep your stock manifolds and the 2 exhaust I just mentioned sound "just right" with stock manifolds and cats. They also flow the best.

If you want to go with an off road y pipe then the stock catback will sound pretty good also. I still say use one of the catbacks I mentioned for ease of installation. You will end up probably breaking bolts trying to get the y pipe off.