Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SLP Dual Dual tips on stock Z28 catback?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question SLP Dual Dual tips on stock Z28 catback?

I am about to pick up a set of SLP Dual Dual tips for my formula, which has a stock LS1 z28 catback on it. I was wanting to keep this catback, but get rid of the vaccuum cleaner tips, so I bought the SLPs. However, I was looking at it today, and noticed how that the Z28 tips are offset to one side from the tailpipe. What I am afraid of, is that the new tips will not be lined up, which will be by a large margin (in relation to the center of the bumper, where the license plate is). I was wondering how to correct this, or if it is even possible. I can get pics of the exhaust on it if that would help any.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I remember right its just the tips that are offset. The SLP tips should work fine for you. I haven't seen my original catback for years, but I do remember the offset. I will look at some old pictures to jog the memory
Old 08-17-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what it will look like:

As you can see, it's off more than a little bit and it bugs the hell out of me, but it's going to have to do until I get a new muffler/exhaust tubes. I just drive real fast and hope no one notices.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the pics, is there a way to cut the tailpipe, then reweld it so it will line up right?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zeevo
Thanks for the pics, is there a way to cut the tailpipe, then reweld it so it will line up right?
If you can weld, anything is possible.. its 2 1/2 inch pipe, just have one bent from an exhaust shop.. Or cut a few inches off, i had to do that to my hooker catback then i took a grinder and smoothed the edges out so they slide back into my muffler. just dont cut anywhere on the left pipe where its already bent... Measure the difference from the corner of the licence plate to the exhaust pipe w/o the tip on.. then take the other pipe out and line it up with the pipe hanging under the muffler, then that will show you how much to cut off and just make sure you always cut short and allow for some play incase you F up.. shouldnt be too hard to do.. Man getting my hooker to fit my 3 in. tsp 3 took so much cutting grinding and torching this is a piece of cake in comparison.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zeevo
No prob. As far as cutting and rewelding, I've asked a couple of shops and they say that because of the way the tubes and the mounts go together, it can't be done without getting a new muffler. I think they're just trying to hit me up for the cost of the muffler. I bet it can be done, you just have to get a shop to do the correct bend and welding.

I'm probably just going to get a new Magnaflow muffler (mainly for the sound) for about $95.00 and have them bend the two exhaust tubes. Total cost w/muffler = about $150. But for around $325.00, I could get a Magnaflow catback but I don't like the truck cannons that come with it plus I don't plan on doing headers so it would be a waste.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Looks like it's time to pick up a borla XR1 muffler to go with my new tips...
Old 08-17-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Default I call BS by the muffler guys...

Okay, for some reason you got me going. I went out and checked again. As you can see in the pic, the passenger side is a 90 degree elbow but the drivers side has a bend that pushes the tips out about two inches. If they'd just cut the pipe after the mount and welded the tip and an extension on it, I'd be straight.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

For some reason it's hard to get stuff done right in this town!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

I know how it is to fight with shops over getting things done your way... I think I'm going to go over to the local shop and talk to him tomorrow. Then I can get some practice in on my mig welder, either on the stocker or a new muffler. I'll post up pics if/when I hack away at it.