Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought a new toy.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a new toy.....

need suggestions, where should i start speed wise? i am very adept with my random orbit but this thing is an all new monster lol.

its a dewalt 849, variable speed, speed sensitive trigger, all the good stuff. i bought the mguires backing plate so that i can use all my pads i have for my PC.

any suggestions or tips before i go home and practice on my girlfriends car???
Old 08-17-2007, 03:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you wish to practice, I would suggest something more forgiving such as a donor door or hood from the junk yard. There are quite a few members of the "burn through" club including body shop pros. Practice with different speed ranges and the foam pads to learn the capabilities of the machine. You'll notice it is a much smoother, faster cutting and aggressive working action as compared to the safe, deliberate action of the Porter Cable 7424.

I have a Makita 9227C that I use for rotary purposes. Never take the rotary for granted or it will let you know.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited by Steve@Tropi-Care; 08-17-2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Additional text
Old 08-17-2007, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
If you wish to practice, I would suggest something more forgiving such as a donor door or hood from the junk yard. There are quite a few members of the "burn through" club including body shop pros. Practice with different speed ranges and the foam pads to learn the capabilities of the machine. You'll notice it is a much smoother, faster cutting and aggressive working action as compared to the safe, deliberate action of the Porter Cable 7424.

I have a Makita 9227C that I use for rotary purposes. Never take the rotary for granted or it will let you know.

Just a suggestion.

thanks for the post. I have every mcquire pad known to man, as well as every compound. i think ill start with my "finishing pad" and just some scratch remover and keep the speed down. as i get more comfortable i will turn her on up and see how well it works.

with this thing turned down to 1000 RPMs it seems very manageable and not too crazy. Coupled with a very very non aggressive pad and non aggressive compound i think i will be in like flint.

on the vette i would like to go ahead and wet sand it down to get rid of my orange peel and and go over and buff it. it needs ALOT of work (95k miles worth)

Quick Reply: Just bought a new toy.....