Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default 4l60e?

ok i have always been told the difference between the v6 and ls1 tranny was the input shaft and the bell housing aside from that a 4l60e is a 4l60e.

well yesterday i was told that the 97 and up 4l60e's input shaft is a 2 peice unit and the front part can be interchanged if the tc and bell is removed it has a hub which holds the input shaft and take it off and you get one part of the input shaft (this is what im guessing he just told me if you took the tc and bell off you would have access to it) does anyone know if there is any truth to this cause if so that would really help me sell the one i have setting at my shop.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is not true. It is a one piece shaft. The input shaft is pressed into the input drum. To remove the input drum assembly the pump must be removed... partial teardown.

And then there is a bit more to it than that... the pump will need to be replaced as well. It can be converted but most of the time it isn't worth the effort.

g
Old 08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks for posting i didnt really beleive it either as i have asked on here what the difference was before and it was a plain and simple shaft is different and i thought if they info i heard yesterday were true why didnt someone on here mention it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd gear servo is different, Stator support is different, Input shaft is different, bellhousing is different, and the torque converter.

to change the 2nd gear servo you need to remove both 2/4 servos from the side of the case. The stator support needs to be pressed out of the pump, and the input shaft needs to be pressed out of the input drum, also need to swap over the correct bellhousing and torque converter.

If you want to use the v6 tranny then just just the v6 converter, it will work, but not the greatest.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

i called a gm parts guy that was a friend of mine and he couldnt find but one part number for the main shaft on the 4l60e, and i have a vette servo for the one ive got i just never installed it