Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch pedal doesn't come back up all the way... here's a new one for you...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch pedal doesn't come back up all the way... here's a new one for you...

Just finished installing a new Spec 3+ , flywheel and slave. I had to bleed the system and while I was pumping the pedal, something felt like it gave and the pedal went down about 1". I continued the bleeding but the pedal would not come back up all the way. Upon examining the rod coming from the pedal assembly going into the master, I noticed that when I pulled the pedal up, the outer top part was coming back up while the lower part was staying there. What in fact happened was that the 2 crimped areas on the outer part of the rod had givin away and the inner part was going in deeper. It turns out that those 2 crimps in the outer part of the rod are all that holds the threaded area on the inner part. All I had to do was put a spacer inside the outer part and the problem was fixed. This would be another something to look at when you have the problem of the pedal sticking 1/2 way. I thought it was air in the system and I bled it for 1 hour before I realized that the rod was weird. Pedal now feels great .
Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find Steve...so do you have any pics of this. It would be nice to add this as a sticky for those that have similar issues in the future.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Nice find Steve...so do you have any pics of this. It would be nice to add this as a sticky for those that have similar issues in the future.
I was in such a rush to drive the car that I didn't take pics but anyone who has the halfway pedal issue should check this first since it is the easiest to check. Just watch the master actuator rod as you pull up on the pedal and see if the outer part of the rod is sliding up and down on the inner part of the rod. (as you push and pull on the pedal). If that little retainer clip that holds the rod on the pedal assembly wasn't such a pain in the *** I would take it apart but I just got back from the dealer having to buy a new one because the original flew off into oblivion as I was trying to install it. The Spec 3+ seems to grap really good.