Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

F-Body owner torn after testdrive!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F-Body owner torn after testdrive!!!!

So I was looking for a used C5 at a dealership when I see a pewter 05 Goat with some 18' chrome rims and aftermarket exhaust for sale last Sunday. I thought to myself "Hmmm. With some different rims, the styling of the car really stands out. I actually like it." To preface this statement when I first saw the 04 GTO I automatically consigned the car to the back of my mind and never really gave the car a another look even when the 05 model came out. But this past Sunday when I really examined the 05 Goat I had a new found appreciation for the car. Where I really messed up was when I agreed to the salesman sugestion to a " Take a little spin" in the Goat.

After a few times flooring it through 1st to 3rd I realized how this car is much more comfotable and nice on the inside then my TA and it's still a fast car. After driving my ladies 07 CTS I was aware that the interior in my car wasn't stellar, but I was never really disappointed in the interior in my car until I drove that Goat and realized I can have a car comparable in performance (or faster if I mod the Goat as much as my TA) and drive in a nicer setting, and not have my rearend fly in the air when I go over the smallest bump in a turn (damn solid axle) and not pay a CTS V price.

So I am in a dilemna! I am torn between the raw quality of my TA, and the more refined quality of the Goat. Seeing how as most Goat owners here are former F-body owners I'd like to hear some comments negative or positive on the different experiences between the cars. I am seriously considering puttin up the TA for sale and buyin a Goat.

The only thing is, the TA has such a rich heritage and I have only seen one or two LS1 TA's our here in SOCAL makes me hesitate becuase I really like my TA I just like the nicer interior, the presence of a real trunk, and the smoother ride coupled with better handling in the GTO and the overall quality of refinement in the Goat.

Sorry about the long post but damn I almost posted my car up for sale until I beat a M Z4 the other day. I keep going back and forth, so I just want to hear some solid experiences on the Goat.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Another thing I have to factor in if I buy a Goat is the fact I cannot stand those hideous stock rims. I would have to put at least some 18' deep dish style rims if not 19's which would run about 2-3k on top of the price of the car, and I don't think I could sell the stock 17's very easily (kinda like stock "swirly" rims I had on my LT1 TA before I bought WS6 rims. I couldn't sell those to save my life!!).
Old 08-23-2007, 02:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy mine!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, the quality of the interior really helped sell me on the goat. Very refined for a "muscle" car. I enjoyed your review but I kinda laughed when I read the part about the GTO having a "real trunk". Did you look at it? lol.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And another F-body owner convinced.

These cars really are refined in the interior. They are comfortable, and still have quite a bit of power for a 3,800 lb car.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Regular

dropped off my '95 TA for the GTO.

over 2 years ago.
don't miss anything about it.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

You'll be able to sell the stock 17's pretty easy. A lot of people buy a pair for drag radials when they hit the track.

You may want to check out ls1gto.com for more opinions on the F-body to GTO swap.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by C4 Silver Guy
Yeah, the quality of the interior really helped sell me on the goat. Very refined for a "muscle" car. I enjoyed your review but I kinda laughed when I read the part about the GTO having a "real trunk". Did you look at it? lol.
A real trunk compared to that hatch thing in the back of the f-bodies.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by radkon
You'll be able to sell the stock 17's pretty easy. A lot of people buy a pair for drag radials when they hit the track.

You may want to check out ls1gto.com for more opinions on the F-body to GTO swap.
I figured they would be more biased than the members chimin in here since this forum originally was an all F-body forum.

Last edited by 93transam; 08-23-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed...

I bought a GTO and have been 100% happy with the purchase. (I did keep the TA however)

Ryan
Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93transam
I figured they would be more biased than the members chimin in here since this forum originally was an all F-body forum.
You'll find that a lot of the members on ls1gto are very friendly and helpful. There are some that are anti-f-body and kinda goofy about silly things, but they aren't as bad as those corvetteforum people (Save the wave! ).

The GTO is a great car. I look forward to my upcoming purchase each and every day.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

well i'm glad to say this, but i own an f-body. and i can honestly say that the gto is as good as advertised. i still own the camaro but i got to say the ride the gto gives , u can match it .
Old 08-23-2007, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

if you're into drag racing at all keep the f-bod. i regret selling mine everytime i go to the track. the GTO's are a great all around car but i miss the harshness of the Z more and more everyday
Old 08-23-2007, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by demonspeed
The GTO is a great car. I look forward to my upcoming purchase each and every day.
buy mine. it's a real sweet car low miles and well taken care of.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nsty98LS1
buy mine. it's a real sweet car low miles and well taken care of.
Thanks, but I'm holding out until the spring. I'm sure yours is great, but I've got my mind set on an 04 Torrid Red.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nsty98LS1
if you're into drag racing at all keep the f-bod. i regret selling mine everytime i go to the track. the GTO's are a great all around car but i miss the harshness of the Z more and more everyday
I'm not into drag racing anymore since I don't have the time or space to replace clutches like I used to back in texas.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93transam
Funny I find the there is more bias here against the GTO. More and more folks are coming around though.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by radkon
Funny I find the there is more bias here against the GTO. More and more folks are coming around though.
I would have to agree with you on that. Especially when the thread on the Car and Driver article came out. Some of those comments where cut-throat!!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

I was looking for a WS6 when I purchased my first '04. I think that the cars were marketed toward the same crowd despite some bias opinions. Not to start anything, but there's heritage in the GTO too. You saw an '04 and never looked again. You saw a Grand Prix with an attitude problem, right? Well, when the GTO was first introduced, was it not just a Tempest with that same bad attitude? Anyway, the trunk space really is a joke, and when you want to get 18"-19" rims, you may have to do some massaging to the rear fenders to get them to fit. I was just doing some research to see if 285/35/18 Nitto DR's would fit, but I think the fenders have to be rolled or at least trimmed if you use the factory rear springs. The 17's you can sell fairly well to the guys that want some rims to put drag radials on, so don't be too worried about that. Hope my $.02 has been helpful. PRG04
Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phantom&RedGoat2004
I was looking for a WS6 when I purchased my first '04. I think that the cars were marketed toward the same crowd despite some bias opinions. Not to start anything, but there's heritage in the GTO too. You saw an '04 and never looked again. You saw a Grand Prix with an attitude problem, right? Well, when the GTO was first introduced, was it not just a Tempest with that same bad attitude? Anyway, the trunk space really is a joke, and when you want to get 18"-19" rims, you may have to do some massaging to the rear fenders to get them to fit. I was just doing some research to see if 285/35/18 Nitto DR's would fit, but I think the fenders have to be rolled or at least trimmed if you use the factory rear springs. The 17's you can sell fairly well to the guys that want some rims to put drag radials on, so don't be too worried about that. Hope my $.02 has been helpful. PRG04
Thats why I want to get an 05-06 because the twin exhaust and hood scoops. But I just looked at the Firebird Pic thread and I am wavering again.

"sigh" decisions, decisions