General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is going on??!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is going on??!!

Ok, i'll get down to it. When I DEPRESS the clutch on my M6 98 T/A, I sometimes get a grinding noise and sometimes it happens when I try to push the shifter into gear. It's a short grind w/ little resistance but it's still there. It DOESN"T happen when I shift at ~3k RPMs, so my questions are... it's my stock clutch and is it shot (80k miles)? or is it my transmission? or is it both? When replacing the clutch should I just have my transmission rebuilt at the same time to be sure?

I was thinking of gettin an LS7 disc/pressure plate w/ an LS2 flywheel for ~400 bucks.. good deal? or should I get something else?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

more than likely the grinding you are hearing when you press the clutch is the throw-out bearing / slave cylinder, Mine was doing the same thing.... stock clutch is probably about shot as well would be a good idea to replace since you need to do the dlave anyways and the tranny will be out. Little grinding when going into gear ???? syncros.?.?.? maybe..... hard to tell without driving it...

My second and third syncros are bad, but when just driving around town normal shifting it seems fine

I did the setup you are looking at 400 seems good think i paid 450 for mine. plus new slave will run ya anywhere from 70-130 depending on were you get it... Good clutch setup for cars under 450-475 hp great for DD feels like stock but grabs WAY better

oh yeah by the way if you got the extra $$$ and built tranny isn't a bad idea either espically if your racing
Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by frisky2101
more than likely the grinding you are hearing when you press the clutch is the throw-out bearing / slave cylinder, Mine was doing the same thing.... stock clutch is probably about shot as well would be a good idea to replace since you need to do the dlave anyways and the tranny will be out. Little grinding when going into gear ???? syncros.?.?.? maybe..... hard to tell without driving it...

My second and third syncros are bad, but when just driving around town normal shifting it seems fine

I did the setup you are looking at 400 seems good think i paid 450 for mine. plus new slave will run ya anywhere from 70-130 depending on were you get it... Good clutch setup for cars under 450-475 hp great for DD feels like stock but grabs WAY better

oh yeah by the way if you got the extra $$$ and built tranny isn't a bad idea either espically if your racing

First, thanks for your reply. Second, where can I get a throwout bearing and for how much do they go for? I replaced the slave ~5 months ago and it's got a few thousand miles on it... you think I need another one? I was quoted 500 for labor to rebuild the tranny and replace the clutch. Do you know where I can get a good tranny rebuild kit? I was looking at www.6-speeds.net at a package there. Or should I just let the shop take care of only the things I need?