PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple missfire under acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple missfire under acceleration?

My Car is missing under hard acceleration. The car has LT's and TD's with NGK plugs and MSD wires all were installed about a month ago. I had a guy scan it while it was running and while i drove it, and it showed random misfires in every cylinder. The plugs were checked and the wires were tested and they're all ok. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Did it do this before you installed the plugs and wires. I dont want to seem dumb but what are TD's and LT's. Maybe the LS1 does not like Jap plugs you should go with AC Delco or whatever GM recommends. I think the MSD wires are ok maybe it could just be your spark plugs. Check the gap on them. Hope to be some some help to you.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Long Tube headers and True Dual exhaust. From what ive heard the NGK's work great in LS1's, both the mechanic and I checked the gaps also and they're ok. Fuel pressure is low so the pump is being replaced tomorrow. Could bad O2's cause missfires?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If you have had previous fueling or spark issues the cats could be getting clogged. I only mention this because I doubt that you changed the plugs and wires for no reason.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Had the same thing happen in my Camaro. I noticed a popping sound coming from the passenger side exhaust. I couldn't rev the engine higher than 4,000rpm and it would miss periodically during minor acceleration. Take it to your local dealership and have them do flow tests on both exhaust outlets. You would be amazed what a bad catalytic converter can do to a car. And If it is a cat, talk with the local dealer about the recall (Note:free parts, and labor)

Could bad O2's cause missfires?
In theory yes. Fouled 02 sensors could be giving your engine improper a/f mixes causing detonation. But if you haven't thrown a code for them you shouldn't be worrying about them...yet. If you have a clogged cat-the cat in turn will foul your 02 sensors. So my recommendation is having this problem checked asap.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fidel trujillo
Did it do this before you installed the plugs and wires. I dont want to seem dumb but what are TD's and LT's. Maybe the LS1 does not like Jap plugs you should go with AC Delco or whatever GM recommends. I think the MSD wires are ok maybe it could just be your spark plugs. Check the gap on them. Hope to be some some help to you.

I dont think its the "jap" plugs.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fidel trujillo
Well considering the AC Delco Iridium spark plugs for our cars are made by NGK, I don't think thats the problem

Normally I don't like Jap products either, but NGK makes some of the best spark plugs on the market.